89 Yamaha 70hp powerhead stuck to base

Kyle4512

Cadet
I am trying to remove the powerhead from my 89 yamaha 70hp motor and am having trouble getting it to seperate from the base. I have removed the lower unit so its not stuck on that. I have removed the six bolts on the sides and 2 in the front. I have tried lifting it out with the engine hanger and smacking it a bit with a hammer and a block of wood, but I don't want to hit it too hard and break something else. Am I missing anything? Are there any tricks to get this to seperate? Thanks for any help.

zthedude

Cadet
Re: 89 Yamaha 70hp powerhead stuck to base

I am also removing my powerhead for the first time, the shop manual says to use a wooden pry bar if necessary. I also read of people using putty knifes.

zthedude

Cadet

The shop manual also said for me to remove 10 bolts but their was really 11 the one in the middle back of the cowling. it says the 70hp has 8 maybe theirs 9.

Last edited:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I belive there is one at the very rear comes up about the center of the block.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like your using an after market manual and bouncing about in the wrong section.
its why I wont even use them in the outhouse.
paper is to rough and the ink comes off.

zthedude

Cadet

Rodbolt I have the Clymer yamaha manual. It says it the official shop manual. If this book is crap can U recommend a good 1

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

while the clymer or seloc manuals are really not bad per se, they are VERY confusing and tend to bounce araound a bit and if your not careful you end up in the wrong section doing real damage.
and they are NOT official.
the only official ones are now by crestec who prints the US manuals under contract from Yamaha motors north america.
they are mostly model specific and not confusing.
they dont cover 2.5 to 300 in a single manual.

Kyle4512

Cadet

Turns out it was just stuck on the base. Those 8 bolts were all that was holding mine on. Just had to use a little more force than I originally felt comfortable with. Ended up using a pry bar, 2x4, jack, and putty knife all at the same time. Hope you got yours dude. Thanks for the replies!