2002 Yamaha F115TLRA stops after running for 10 minutes

My 2002 Yamaha F115 dies after running fine for about 10 minutes. After that, it has to sit for 45 minutes or so before it will start back, but even then it will only run for a few seconds before quitting again. Engine will turn over fine, but just not start.

I've traced the problem to not getting a ground connection to the fuel pump from the ECU after the engine stops. Up until the engine stops, I have a good ground coming from the ECU (blue wire). If I connect a jumper wire to the fuel pump ground (blue wire) and ground it to the engine, the engine will start back and run fine until the jumper is removed. The red/yellow wire to the fuel pump continues to have 12 volts while the key is on before and after the engine stops.

If the engine sits for several hours, it will again run the 10 minutes or so and quit again.

I suspect a bad ECU ($$$), but was wondering if something else would cause the ECU to disconnect the ground. Does anyone know if the ECU sensing low or no oil pressure, high temperature, or something else would cause this? There's no alarm sounding.

Just wanting to make sure I've checked what I can before hauling it in to the shop. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: 2002 Yamaha F115TLRA stops after running for 10 minutes

Ended up taking it to the shop. Mechanic at shop said it was wiring harness and replaced it. That didn't fix it so the ignition was changed next. Still not fixed. ECU was replaced and fixed the problem. Ended up costing $2K to fix.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2002 Yamaha F115TLRA stops after running for 10 minutes

Hopefully you did not have to pay for the harness and switch as they were not the problem, but the ECU's are expencive