Power Trim Fluid

Triton189

Cadet
2003 Yammaha 175 HPDI. I tried checking the fluid when I removed the screw/cap the fluid came squirting out everywhere. Is there a trick to this? Was it over filled?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Power Trim Fluid

I believe you raise motor all the way up, set the tilt lock into place and then let the motor down on the lock relieving the pressure on the system and then open the fill plug to check and add.

Triton189

Cadet

I believe you raise motor all the way up, set the tilt lock into place and then let the motor down on the lock relieving the pressure on the system and then open the fill plug to check and add.

99yam40, thanks for the info! When you set the tilt lock into place do have to bring the two "trim" rods all the day down to? I tried to put fluid in today and could not do it. Also, do you know how much fluid it will hold?

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wouldn't mind knowing more about servicing the trim either....the owners manual doesn't say much about it and i googled and can't find anything. i have a 2007 TXR 150 2 stroke and the big cap(with a phillips screw slot) is near the bottom. i removed it and oil came out so i assume it is full? where would i add/check fluid at if it were empty? i also have the same question about relieving the pressure by triming down on the lock.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

on the showa unit, the one with the plastic cap and resevoir, DO NOT let it down on the tilt lock.
DO set it incase something happens it cannot drop.
DO NOT retract the trim rams and open the cap.
its a sealed system and unless it leaks requires no maint. leave it be.

flavtfan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

cool thanks...yeah it's a showa...good..i don't have to service it. hopefully i didn't mess anything up by taking that cap off. some leaked out but i put the cap back on as soon as it started leaking out. thanks for the info.