Yamaha 70TLRC Stalling/Emergency mode/timing

Hey Everyone,

I have a 2004 Yamaha 70TLRC carbureted 2 stroke. This engine is on a boat that was never used much. It is used every year, maybe 5-6 times a season. It has always been kind of problematic, always stalling, running rough, etc. I finally decided to do something about it by rebuilding the carbs. Everything looked good inside the carbs, but I rebuilt them anyway. The problem still occurs. It takes an incredible amount of cranking to start, will rev out of control for a few seconds (not touching the throttle at all), and eventually die. If I can get it into gear quick enough, I can give it some revs and it will be alright. The revs still fluctuate heavily, but it wont stall. When it does stall at lower rpms, it sounds like the key is turned off, even though it isn't. It just shuts off as if the spark was killed. As far as I know, there is a computer on this motor (it is visible). Today I tried seeing if the problem improved by turning the red switch to the right of the carbs to the "emergency" position. It prevents the motor from stalling, but it continues to backfire/rev fluctuate. If anybody has any idea what the problem is, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Max

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 70TLRC Stalling/Emergency mode/timing

poor neglected lil motor:(.
either the carbs are still dirty,very likly.
the fuel pump is dead,easy to replace.
possibly the electro thermal valve is stuck.
motor starts at about 1200 RPM or so and idles down all by itself.
if your going to let it sit more than 30 days it must be winterized.