yamaha 703 control wires

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Think I have this womans motor back together, time to run it. 2 locals pulled the boat for her and say they gave her back the key. She cant find it. So happens that the key ring also had attached a key to a restricted ramp which cost about $ 40 to replace. I figure the key was sold for a case of bud lites and she will never see them again.
My thinking is that I can make up a plate with 3 toggle switches, run, momentary start and momentary choke. Can someone give me the color codes for the yamaha harness so I can splice some wires in? While here, what would a new ignition switch cost her? Is a daily fishing boat so looks are not important, just so the motor runs.
Side note, if anyone here is in a position where you have a ramp key and people ask to borrow it, let them use it if you want. I have started requiring a fully refundable $100 deposit plus I hold your drivers license until the key is returned. Am tired of never getting my key back. regards FRED

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: yamaha 703 control wires

Why not just get the number off of the switch and get a new key from a Yamaha part place if that is where the boat came from, it would be easier.
As old and as experienced as you are have you not learned yet that messing with that younger stuff will cause you trouble;)?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did not know that you could do that. Never been unfortunate enough to lose a key. Will pull the control once the sun starts going down.
Beginning to wish I never got involved. Wife says its another jewel in my crown. FRED

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

take the nut off the switch, the key number is stamped on the flat part of the plastic.
no need to dissasemble the box.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pulled the switch last night, thought it was a replacement from the way it was spliced in. Took the bezel nut off and like you said, the nbr. was there. Got 2 keys this morning for her. Just as well I took it out as the wiring needs to be cleaned up anyway. Thanks for the heads up. Now if it would just get cloudy I could put it together, cant work in this sunlight. FRED

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Additional side note. YAMAHA mech. told me the power head is most likely a recreational head mounted on a commercial leg/ transom bracket. Explains why I am working on a 2 cyl. and the parts diagrams shows a 3 cyl. Sure had me baffled, nothing matched the diagram. FRED