02 yamaha 150 hard cold start

suzk1000

Recruit
I have a 02 yam 150 , tlra that is hard to start after it sits for 3 or more days. I have had the boat for about a month. The guy i bought it from just had the carbs rebuilt and the plugs changed. When i got it i changed the fuel / water seperator. The once i get it started it will start as soon as you touch the key. I have pump the bubble tight and try to choke it, still won't start. I tried giving it alittle gas , but nothing. I have a hot foot , so no cold start lever. Anyone know the secret to starting it.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 02 yamaha 150 hard cold start

are you pushing the key in and holding it in while turning or just turning...fuel enrichment solenoid is energized when key is pushed in...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that is not a prime start engine,
to start,prime system, depress hot foot to allow start up RPM at about 1500 RPM. turn key,depress key to energize the choke solinoid,turn key to start.
if it doesnt start that way its broke.
two stroke non prime start engines require operater interaction for cold starts.

suzk1000

Recruit

are you pushing the key in and holding it in while turning or just turning...fuel enrichment solenoid is energized when key is pushed in...

yes, i always hold key in while trying to start. Today has been 5 days since i tried to start it. It cranked up after about 5 seconds. This time i tried leveling the motor or getting the motor straight up and down with the carbs.i really don't know if i have had the motor level before or not. A local yamaha dealer told me to try this. Maybe i got lucky. Thank you for your reply

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

no fuel enrichment solinoid on that motor.
it has choke plates and a pull down solinoid.
it MUST be throttled up at cold start as well as choked or it simply wont start.
its not luck, it correct starting procedure.
advance throttle,turn key,push in key,crank engine.
that motor is very difficult to start at a dead idle when cold.
read your operators manual.