Yamaha 30 HP 3 cyl-Idle problems

BEH

Cadet
I am using a Yamaha 30 ELG vintage 1988 on my 13' Whaler.
Initial problems-none, as the boat season went on, was unable to come up to speed with wide open throttle. Replaced plugs and fuel and have run 5 gallons of fresh gas treated with sea foam thru the engine.
The speed has come back at wide open throttle, but it is difficult to get the boat to idle without choking it.
I drained the carb. bowls, removed the pilot screwes on all 3 carbs-blew out and reset as per manual.
Took the boat for a ride and still had no idle ability. Ran great at mid to high speed.

Ruddell

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 30 HP 3 cyl-Idle problems

Your idle jets in the carburetors may be clogged not letting you get enough fuel to idle(hence you having to choke it to richen it up to run). Disassemble the carbs and soak the jets in power tune. It may be necessary to poke a fine wire through the jets(or torch tip cleaner), however extreme caution must be taken not to open the holes any in the brass jets.

BEH

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 30 HP 3 cyl-Idle problems

Your idle jets in the carburetors may be clogged not letting you get enough fuel to idle(hence you having to choke it to richen it up to run). Disassemble the carbs and soak the jets in power tune. It may be necessary to poke a fine wire through the jets(or torch tip cleaner), however extreme caution must be taken not to open the holes any in the brass jets.
I drained the carb bowls and removed the pilot screws and flushed with carb. cleaner/pb blaster/liquid wrench/break cleaner- blowing out with air and flushing with gas each time. When I got the boat in the water, it ran perfect. Idle/mid/top all settings worked perfect. I had adjusted the pilot screws at 2 turns out for each one of the carbs, a little more than factory settings