2002 Yamaha SX225TXRA will not shift into gear

saladart

Recruit
I recently dropped the lower unit on my Yamaha SX225TXRA to replace the impeller. I later learned that since that time, I am not able to make the propeller turn in either direction. Moving the throttle in either direction revs the engine but the propeller does not engage in either direction (forward or reverse). Everything worked prior to me dropping the lower unit... I know that the water pump works properly so I believe I put things back together properly - except for the shifting into gear.

I THINK that I screwed up by not marking the shaft so that I can put it back in the same position when I put the lower unit back on BUT not sure... Before I drop the lower unit again, I need guidance as to what other things could be the cause of this problem. If it seems like the likely cause is the position of the shaft, what is the best way to get the shaft back to the correct position. Is there any technique that can be done that will save me time over moving the shaft, trying, adjusting, trying again etc...

Ask questions as I don't know if I have provided all the information needed...

Ru4rusty2

Cadet
Re: 2002 Yamaha SX225TXRA will not shift into gear

Sounds like the shift shaft is not in its correct position you need the manual and the measuring tool to make sure the shaft is set to the correct height.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 Yamaha SX225TXRA will not shift into gear

no measuring a yamaha shift shaft on the 225.
you most likly failed to line the female splined shaft with the male splined shaft on reassembly.
it happens.
usually I have to move the female shft with my finger to align the two when reassembling.
make sure both the shifter and the case are in nuetral when dissasembling or reassembling a V4 or V6 yamaha.