99 Yamaha 90 motor flush

robert graham

Admiral
My 1999 Yamaha 90C is mostly freshwater but ran it all last week in salt water at the coast and was thinking of flushing motor with 30 gallon drum of fresh water with maybe a gallon of vinegar for 30 minutes, then neutralize with some baking soda. This would be a mild flush but might be good to get some salt/deposits out of motor. Any of you guys have any thoughts, ideas or opinions on my flush method before I do this? Thanks for sharing your experience on this.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 99 Yamaha 90 motor flush

A friend of mine here in central N.C.takes his boat to the local lake and runs it for a while to flush the salt out when he returns from 3/5 day trips to the coast.been doing it for years.or couldnt you put ears and a water hose on it and flush it?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 99 Yamaha 90 motor flush

Well I did my 30 gallon drum of fresh water with a gallon of vinegar in it for 20 minutes, then some baking soda to neutralize, then on the fresh water muffs for 15 minutes. I don't really know if I did anything or not, but I feel some better about that 5 days of salt water running at the coast. I usually put the boat in the river several miles upstream from the ocean, then it gets flushed going back up, but this time we put in directly on the intercoastal waterway. Probably just being a worry-wart, but I like to take care of the equipment so it runs dependably.