Another Yamaha oil problem - Yamaha 150 V6 1997

geopapai

Recruit
Hi all, glad to be here.

I have an oiling problem with my Yamaha 150 FETOX V6 1997 2-stroke 2.6lt (6E5). I have already read all oil related posts but cannot still find where is my problem.

In short:
The other day I heard the alarm & my motor went into protection mode. I found out that the oil lever at the motor tank was low. Tried to fill with manual switch, it doesn't work (motor on, trim ok- in position 4). After reading your posts I took apart the remote tank. Pump works (directly on 12V) , filter not blocked and cleaned. No tubes blocked. Oil sensor on it tested with polymeter, closes circuit in both positions.
Now on the motor tank: Oil sensor checked, all in positions. Tested with polymeter, works in all 3 positions (stop, pump, alarm). Filter clean & foamy o-ring in place. Replaced with another (used) sensor same thing.
Tried to simulate with motor working, does not start the pump, sends alarm when low. Also, remote tank half+ full, ingition on, no oil transfer and pump does not work. Even checked manual switch on motor with polymeter, closes circuit.
Finally, in power on, I get the alarm, and the 3 arrows blinking in tachymeter.

I have come down to this:
Manual switch does not work (motor on, or ingition on and remote tank half full).
Both sensors seem to work.

I have tried to follow the oil transfer lines (blue/green & black) but they go trhough the ECU...

Guys any ideas??? Could it be wiring?
I am leaving on vacations next week!!!:eek:

Rodbolt anything?

UPDATE: Thinking back after reading the SELOC Guide, after getting the 3 blinking arrows in the tachymeter, I think it then points to yellow...could this mean an erratic behaviour or failure of the remote tank oil sensor???

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Another Yamaha oil problem - Yamaha 150 V6 1997

the remote SWITCH, there are NO sensors, may have failed but I doubt it.
all the manual switch does is complete the ground path.
keep reading on the forum about precision blend with the caveat, anything I posted may or may not apply to non US market motors.
at the 4 pin at the remote with key on, brown wire should have 12V to engine ground,black should have engine ground.
black red to green/white at the tach should show continuity, blue to engine should show continuity with the manual switch actvated.
what 3 blinking indicates is telling you is the engine tank is low but the switch in the remote is telling the ecu it has enough for transfer.
have you checked the remote oil tank filter?

geopapai

Recruit

Thank you Rodbolt.

I get 12V power at the remote tank - Brown wire at Key On. Also have cleaned the filter (you mean the one that is under the remote tank), thought it was OK.

From what I see all mentioned in the posts apply to my EU motor, even wire colors.

I will check the other wiring today and keep you posted...

geopapai

Recruit

Good news!

Found what most possibly was the problem. The 4-wire harness from the engine to the remote tank had the Brown wire cut somewhere (dead on Rodbolt).

What I did is first unplug the two ends (remote & engine) and then test for continuity. When I found I had no continuity at the brown wire, I completely bypassed the whole harness with another 4-wire cable :)p you have to see the connections I made...)

When I turn the key On...bingo: short alarm and 2-3 seconds later the pump started sending oil, filling engine tank.

Thank you very much Rodbolt!!! I wish you all "good seas" as we have an expression here...:)

PS:I think by just replacing it I'll all be OK. Do I need to check for anything else?