1986 Suzuki DT 55, surging, down on power

hevysrf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Suzuki DT 55 compression 140 +or - 5, good cranking spark, 10 micron racor, no dirt, no water. Hole shot getting worse, seems to surge at mid range. Plugs were nice and even brown at the begining of the season, all three different now. I think I need to pull the carbs, what problems should I look for. Thanks MartyD

Attachments

• 389873904.jpg
    389873904.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 0

James R

Commander
Re: 1986 Suzuki DT 55, surging, down on power

Carbs should be cleaned and new kits fitted routinely. With the crap fuel that our government has allowed onto the market more fuel related problems are being seen. Use Marine Stabil additive to help minimize the fuel and alcohol problems.

hevysrf

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Found water in the bowls, one float high, seems ok now, haven't looked at plugs yet. This boat only has a 10 gallon plastic tank, and runs every weekend . I can't believe that much water showed up since memorial day. Don't know if its the ethanol, or the if the local gas staion has compromised tanks. MartyD

James R

Commander

Ethanol is alcohol and draws moisture from the air. This collects in the gas station tanks and in ours. Thank you US government.
Stabil helps but fitting a water trap filter helps more. All of my larger motor systems have a water trap filter fitted.
Would like to send the bill to Washington but you know how that will go.
Let us all know if this turns out to be the issue.