Suzuki 225 hp 2004: variation in rpm at iddle when cold

jfneron

Recruit
Hi folks!

I bought a Grady White boat last winter on which a Suzuki 225 hp 2004 with 39 hours on the hourmeter is installed. In the spring the engine have been connected to a computer and there was no code, and I was told by the Suzuki dealer that all was fine.

Since I have put the boat in the water, each time I start the engine when it is cold the tachometer vary from 3000 to 3700 rpm, agian and again and again, while in neutral. That can continue (20 min or more) until I put the engine in forward gear. Then the variation stop and the engine rpm become stable. I also cannot get full speed and the engine vibrates a lot when running. I was able to reach 50 mph the first time I went on the lake but now I cannot reach more than 35 mpg...

What can cause that? The boat have not been used very much the last 3 years. I had the fule/water separator replaced, and the raw water impeller replaced as well. I have not put a new fuel filter in place.

Any idea on the cause of my problem?

JF Neron
Ottawa, CANADA

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Suzuki 225 hp 2004: variation in rpm at iddle when cold

The first thing is check for correct engine computer. Computer was recalled 2/3 times.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

How old is the fuel?

jfneron

Recruit

We found a dead spark plug and everything is a lot smoother now, and the variation in rpm disapeared. Fuel consumption have been also greatly improved.

I ran the boat like that for 5 hours then the HIGH TEMP alarm went ON after I went to full throttle for less than a minute. The CHECK ENGINE light stayed ON until I reached my destination. The next day all seemed to be OK and the CHECK ENGINE light is now OFF.

Should I have the engine checked by a Suzuki dealer? I had the raw water impeller replaced this spring and the water flow seem to be normal.

Oil is new.

Fuel was 3 year old old but I have filled the tank twice with fresh gaz since.

JF N?ron
Ottawa, CANADA

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

3 year old fuel and new fuel mixed in is still questionable

jfneron

Recruit

If I use all the mixed fuel, would it not be like having a fresh tank of gaz? Would the water disapear over the time as it sit at the bottom of the tank?

Should I have the tank completely emptied at the end of this season?

JF

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

No, Water will not go away on its own you have to remove it.

Depends on how much 3 year old fuel was in it, how big the tank is and how much new fuel was put in.

I would have it checked by the dealer to make sure everything is OK. It should not be overheating

clanton

Rear Admiral

Verify correct computer on engine, give dealer serial number. Changed for idle problems, backfire, and maby more.