Racor type fuel/water separator

Homosassa

Cadet
How does this filter work? Is there a limit to how much water may pass through the filter before it needs replacement. In other words, does it loose efficiency as more water is filtered through it. I have drained a lot of water through fresh filter trying to clear tank of water. Does the water separate purely by gravity to become
visible in the clear bowl and the filter elements purpose strictly for separating particle contaminants?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Racor type fuel/water separator

simple gravity.
however the water carries enough contaminates to rapidly clog the filter materiel.
its also why the Efuels are so bad,gravity cannot seperate the water held in the Efuels and it makes it to the engine then seperates.

Homosassa

Cadet

Thanks for your help, no one had a difinitve answer on that and I apprecia the info. Next question, do any of the myriad of fuel treatments work? According to their info they disperse the water more homenosly and it burns up in the cylinder. Do they so what they claim?

Homosassa

Cadet

Thanks for your reply. No one seemed to have a difinitive answer on that one, and as usual your info was dead on!

Next question, in your opinon, what is the best fuel additive to throw in your tank to avoid future problems, and do they work?

sxmerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best solution is to drain the tank and start fresh. Efuels are rubbish to begin with, and tainting lousy fuel with additives will only worsen the situation. My two cents.