Suzuki outboard 60 hp (2000) problems

homers_i

Recruit
Hello everybody! I'm very impressed by this forum, but I couldn't find a solution to my problem here.
I have Suzuki 60 hp year 2000 and recently its starter got broken. Before this had happened, it was overhiting several times during my last fishing trip(water pump was working ). The last time it got overhited I stoped the engine and when I tried to start it the starter broke down. Now I have to get a new one. I've heard that some Johnson or Evinrude (I'm not sure which one) is compatible with my engine and their parts are much cheaper. Is it true and if yes do you know which one?
I was also told that the overhiting problem wasn't the real one, it was actually caused by the starter malfunctioning before it got broken. Is it possible? I'd appreciate your responses.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: Suzuki outboard 60 hp (2000) problems

If your close to a Evinrude dealer, ask for starter for 2000, 60 HP engine. I would compare old with new one before I put the cash on the counter.
If you are in florida I may be of some help, also starters can be repaired sometimes.

homers_i

Recruit

Thanks for advice.
Unfortunately I live in Canada, too far from you. Anyway thanks for your help.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Contact user Schematic, he is in Canada.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Homers,
Do you know if its the starter thats the problem for sure? Was the starter able to crank the engine after it overheated, or did it just not spin the engine at all? If it was able to crank the engine, and then just stopped working it may be the starter, or a fuse. If you tried to restart the engine after it overheated, and the starter didn't work at all, you may have a seized engine.