2001 Suzuki 4 stroke 50 hp lower unit??

Repco37

Recruit
The 50 hp suzuki i have on my novi skiff has been well maintained, always winterized, oil changed every 100 hrs, water/fuel seperator, and i always added fuel stabalizer to gas. Last year when in reverse the engine would make sort of a thump every few seconds especially when i backed it down hard. A friend mentioned the reverse dog probaly is rounded off.I continued to run and was sure to check the lower unit oil for metal filings which i did not see. Now the reverse it totaly gone. The boat slips when in reverse and grinds so i have not been using reverse. Would like to get my reverse back any comments or thought would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2001 Suzuki 4 stroke 50 hp lower unit??

Sounds like you need a new lower unit or take that one apart and see what is wrong with it and how much it will cost to repair. By running it so long you may have damaged a lot more than if you would have repaired it when you 1st noticed it.

Repco37

Recruit

Yeah, thats a possibility i dont think i did to much. I havnt used reverse at all to avoid it slipping between nuetral and reverse but its becoming way to much of a pain and hazard not having reverse. Any idea or thought on opening up the lower unit? Is it worth my time...Could it be a relatively easy fix replacing the reverse dog? Is replacing the whole lower unit the best route or a used lower unit? open to any suggestions or thoughts...and apprx price thoughts on what its going to cost for parts....Thanks

jethro5333

Cadet

have you tried disconnecting the shift cable and shifting by hand to see if there is some other problem?