1994 yamaha 75hp hesitation?

eric m

Cadet
My problem is with my 1994 yamaha 75hp 2 stroke outboard. It has a hesitation every time i try to get it on plane . it has just reacently developed this problem . I just changed the plugs and did a compression check . all three cylinders were 90 -95 PSI . the top two plugs looked good , but the bottom one had some buildup on it. The plug change did not help the hesitation. The motor will lug for any where from 10- 40 seconds , then start sputtering until it takes off and runs normally. I am thinking that it could be a coil pack or water in the carbs. I will for sure get a fuel additive for water removal . I'll also drain the float bowles again, but this time i'll use the primer bulb to push fuel through them. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1994 yamaha 75hp hesitation?

If you have water/trash in bowls, it comes from the tank and you need to drain and clean tank.
Check the fuel pump to make sure the diaphragm is ok and clean out/replace the lines and primer bulb also. a 10 micron water separator/ fuel filter would be a good investment

Probably will need to pull and clean carbs. Flushing will not remove trash fro jets/passages.

eric m

Cadet
Re: 1994 yamaha 75hp hesitation?

If you have water/trash in bowls, it comes from the tank and you need to drain and clean tank.
Check the fuel pump to make sure the diaphragm is ok and clean out/replace the lines and primer bulb also. a 10 micron water separator/ fuel filter would be a good investment

Probably will need to pull and clean carbs. Flushing will not remove trash fro jets/passages.

thanks for the reply. Since it runs fine once you get past the hesitation, do you still think its trash?