New Yamaha 150 4 Stroke leaking oil into splashwell when up

ksgoldman

Cadet
I have a 2010 Grady White Tournament 275 with twin Yamaha 150 4-Strokes that was launched for the first time in April this year. I now have 65 hours on the motors and the starboard engine leaks a small amount of oil into the splashwell when the engine is tilted up (to port) at the mooring. It's definitely motor oil and only happens when the motor is tilted up. The oil is coming from the front of the cowl in a hole under the cowl. Over the course of a week of the motor being tilted up - it's probably about 10 drops (if it came out of an eyedropper).

I had the oil changed at 20 hours and had no problems before the first oil change. I'm not sure when this dripping started (I don't believe that it started right after the oil change but it could have). My dealer thinks it's just residual oil in the oil pan from the oil change. I've checked the oil level each time I go out and it appears to be where it should be. Oil pressure is also fine (I have the engines hooked up to my Garmin 4212 so I can see exact oil pressure which is the same between both engines).

I have the extended warranty through 2016.

If it were your engine - would you be worried? Do you think it's just residual oil from the oil change (even 45 running hours later)? My dealer is outstanding so I have no reason to doubt what they are telling me (but obviously on a brand new boat with new engines - I don't like seeing something like this).

I did check the oil filter to make sure that it's tight (as well as the oil fill cap). Anything else you can think of that might be causing this?

Thanks.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: New Yamaha 150 4 Stroke leaking oil into splashwell when up

10 drops of oil doesn't sound like a problem to me. Outboards tend to leak a few fluids from various places maybe due to the tilting up and down. Don't worry about it!

ksgoldman i had the same problem with my 150 2006 model but it has only happened twice both of wich after the services were done. after a week or two of being tilted up no more oil leaks. Dont worry.

on another matter did you connect up your engines to your garmin.

i have a 4010 garmin and would like to do the same thing, will it give you fuel usage/burn
cheers adrian

ksgoldman

Cadet

I bought a Maretron cable from Jim at BOE Marine (www.boemarine.com) and it's plug-and-play. Yamaha also makes a cable with a smart box attached (contact Andy at SIM Yamaha). The only requirement is that you need to have the digital command link gauges. I really like having the engine data on my Garmin (especially precise numbers like oil pressure, engine temp, engine tilt, etc.). It also allows you to show fuel burn, range, and MPG on your chartplotter while you are going.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sounds like a sloppy tech.
once you spill the oil,very easy to do when changing a filter,it will drip out of the cowl for weeks.
why plug into a garmin?
the command link gauge will show you any data the garmin will.
add the triducer and the water pressure and speed sensors and you get speed,engine water pressure surface water temp and depth.

rodbolt i have the 6y gauges i dont think i can plug into them to find out fuel usage/burn etc or can i
on another matter i have changed from mph to klm on my gauges

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

command link only works with HPDI and 4 stroke EFI after 2005.
if the engine is older you can add the 6y5 digital fuel management meter to monitor flow.

H8892711

Recruit

I bought a 2011 Parker 2510XLD with twin 150 4 Stroke Yamaha motors. After 60 hours on the motors, I noticed a small oil leak which pooled down at the base of the block and then dripping out of the drain plugs onto the ground from the port motor.I trailer the boat and the engines are stored straight up and down. The dealer told me to make sure that the dip stick was seated, which it was. After another trip, the oil leak was present again. The dealer said that the engine oil may have been to high on the dip stick. The dealer did the oil change by the way. He drained off a halh a quart, cleaned everything again and told me to make another trip. During these trips, the engine telemetry, oil pressure, water pressure and temperatures were in the normal ranges. It's not a lot of oil we're talking about. It's not discernable on the dip stick. Well, after the next trip, the leak is still there. I called Parker who said they are calling Yamaha with my symptoms. I suggested putting a dye in the engine oil to detect where the leak may be coming from. It,s not residual and it,s not coming from the oil filter or the dip stick tube. Both are dry. I checked both motors after they did the 20 hr service and all was clean. The one note that I can make is that prior to this leak, I was at full throttle for about 45 seconds. This should not make a difference. If I hear back from Yamaha, I'll post their findings. The dealer said he was going to clean the oil agin and then strategically place clean pads in the engine compartment and have me do another trip.