Yamaha 90 hp Oil Tank Leak, times 2

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've seen threads about the level sensor leaking at the rubber lid, and I have difficulty so many can leak and Yamaha not put out some kind of bulletin to fix it before everyone having to dish out $100 to replace the level sensor.

Now I notice the tank sweating (leaking) oil on the side of the tank where the letters are embossed on it. That's more mulla to dish out!:mad:

Any fixes that have succeeded from anyone will be greatly appreciates. I don't mind an ugly tank as long as I can avoid replacing it so soon.

Oh Snap!

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 90 hp Oil Tank Leak, times 2

I have the same issue with the oil level sensor leaking. I minimized the leak by not filling the tank all the way up, however it still leaks just a little when the motor is tilted up for a long time or I trailer my boat. Now I just keep some rags handy..

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I've been doing - filling it to just below the oil level sensor cap. The trace of oil sweating outside the tank along side where the embossed lettering is a new ailment, and that's a tad below the oil level sensor cap.

I keep a quart of oil on the boat in case I forget to add some before hitting the water. Nothing like a high-maintenance oil resevoir! Looking on the bright side, the motor runs superbly.:)

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update on tank leak...

I tried RV adhesive in a quart can loaned by neighbor. It showed promise when applied to the side of the tank along the embossed lettering. We figured because it required alcohol-based solvent for clean up, it had a chance. Well, not!

Contrary to my hopes, the oil still seeped through the crack to eventually soften the adhesive.

Next trick may be with an epoxy stick. The kind you heat with a torch and dab in on. It stays firm but plyable. I got a sample setting in 2-cycle oil as a test. If that works, I still have the level sensor to tackle.

film at eleven...wellsc1

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

From time to time all motors need parts replaced, and they are not cheap, bite the bullet and spend the money to fix it properly.
That is why they call these boats holes in the water you throw money into, it all costs money to have and maintain. The other choice is to paddle everywhere you go and that gets old real fast.