Suzuki Tech question: Not able to fully insert the drive shaft into 1983 DT50 PH

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I loacted a 1986 DT60 donor engine (frozen power head) with a sound lower unit from a reputable Suzuki dealer in Shelton Wa. Picked up the motor, took it home and I was able to drop the lower unit with no problems.

Mine is a 1983 DT50, the dealer assured me it would fit my power head, the spline count matches, the cut on DT60 is a bit longer than the DT50 (I would not think this a problem) but other than that it appears to be correct.

Here is my problem, when I attempt to install the DT60 unit on to the DT50, as the drive shaft slips into the power head it stops, I am not able to get close enough to start any of the bolts with the exception of the long bolt that is directly above the prop thus leaving a gap of about 2 inches. This is verified by the grease trail (using plenty of grease) left on the spline, showing approximately 1 1/2 inch insertion. And yes I am rotating the prop shaft as I am installing the driveshaft.

I don't want to force the shaft , I have in the past rebuilt the water pump and it slipped back into place with no problems (original unit). Could the problem that this shaft is from a different motor ? Or I am overlooking something,

Any suggestions?

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Suzuki Tech question: Not able to fully insert the drive shaft into 1983 DT50 PH

As far as my knowledge goes, the DT-60 was only manufactured in 83 to 84 ........ I would have guessed that the 2 will not fit on each other, but I could be wrong .... if you look at the 2 lower units, are the drive shaft the exact same length?

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki Tech question: Not able to fully insert the drive shaft into 1983 DT50 PH

I stand corrected, I checked the DT60 tag and ser# is 301458 which as I understand makes it a 1983, Same year?

The shaft appears to be the same length, DT50 outside of case = DT60 in case

Problem seems to be full insertion of drive shaft into the crank. It will begin to start, enough to be able to turn the engine with the prop shaft, but not close enough to bolt up. I can get longer bolts to pull from the rear of the case to attempt to maintain an even pull. With the front bolt the case is wanting to pull front side first. At this point I stop and attempt to "wiggle it in" no luck so far.. The old shaft slips in with a fair amount of wiggling.

Wondering if I should use a three corner file on the spline of the DT60, the cuts are clean, however I am thinking it might keep it from hanging up?

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

deejaycee; I Checked the BPM microfiche files and it shows both motors using the same drive shaft & associated part numbers

deejaycee_2000

Captain

It should slip right in there .... is the drive shaft itself (that slips into the powerhead) the same length standing out as the old one? You could try and lube it up file it a little and see if it goes ....

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will file/clean up the cuts on the shaft, grease the spline and if it doesn?t pop into place I am considering opening up the lower unit and replacing the DT60 shaft with the one from the DT50.

As long as the gear set remains with the original case I should not create any problems ?

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

I as was finally able to separate the case on the DT60 (saltwater motors are so fun?.not)
I compared the drive shafts, and sure enough the DT60 is 27mm longer than the DT50.

The DT 50 pinion tooth count is 11 & the forward / reverse tooth count is 23
The DT 60 pinion tooth count is 12 & the forward / reverse tooth count is 24
The spline count is the same, so the pinion(s) will fit either drive shaft. The prop shaft(s) are the same so they appear interchangeable.

The question is "Can I use the DT60 gear set in the DT50 case, if so what difference will the gear count make?

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Mmmm that is what I thought yes ...... well obviously the gear ratio's are different .... if it fits then try it out .... it will just be a little slower on take off but from here it should be fine ...

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class
UPDATE :Suzuki Tech question: Not able to fully insert drive shaft into 1983 DT50 PH

UPDATE :Suzuki Tech question: Not able to fully insert drive shaft into 1983 DT50 PH

Update:

I have my lower end back together, I have yet to fire up the motor, however when turning the prop by hand it feels a heck of alot smoother.

I was able to blend the two lower units. I used the DT50 case, drive shaft, and prop shaft bearing housing. From the DT60 I used the gear set, the prop shaft, the prop shaft rear bearing, the prop shaft front bearing, and the case fill & drain plugs (the DT50 plugs were pretty rough).

I purchased new a complete lower case seal set, and the drive shaft upper tappered bearing.

Thanks to those who provided assistance.