Suzuki 9.9 2 stroke won't idle

balin206

Cadet
Apologies, but I've searched quite a bit for existing solutions, and can't find troubleshooting advice.

Have run the motor 5 or 6 times this year with no problem. Last time out, seemed a little rough after starting but once underway no problem.

One week later, I have to fiddle with the choke to keep the engine running, and have to keep the throttle at 1/4 or more. Below this will stall regardless of the choke setting.

1. thought it might be the gas so I made sure the tank air intake was open, and discarded my old gas, and refilled with octane 89 (medium grade from Exxon). Ran the engine for 10 mins, but still same problems.

2. checked the plugs. They are slightly "wet" with a black oily mix, but otherwise clean, and look like new.

Wondering if these symptoms might point to:
1. bad plugs or wires or other electrical? At higher RPM is there less need for a spark based on previous ignition cycle???

2. clogged carb or oil injectors. If so, any advice on using an additive to clean, or should I take the motor in for a general cleaning / tune up, or are there simple steps a weekend warrior can follow.

Anything else you think I should check before taking the engine in?

Thanks in advance.

balin206

Cadet
Re: Suzuki 9.9 2 stroke won't idle

Replaced the plugs and no change.

Sprayed the carb with Winterizing Fogging Oil to see if that would lubricate anything, and it runs for a few seconds, burning off the Oil.

Purged air from the Fuel line, and the Fuel ball is extremely hard, and only releases pressure very slowly.

I now suspect it is the fuel filter or a clog between the fuel connection and the Carburator, since spraying oil in the carb makes its way into the engine.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

You need to give those carbs a good clean ..... soak in carb cleaner overnight and blow out with compressed air ....

balin206

Cadet

Well, took it in for repairs as I didn't have a manual.

Was debris and gunk in the float bowl and just needed a carb cleaning, exactly as DJ indicated.

Going to install a fuel filter between the ball and tank. Racor seems to be recommended. Is this overkill for a 9.9 outboard? The small inline or glass filters seem to be less $10, a Merc metal filter kit is $50 (both of these seem to be 25 micron), and the Racor seems to be over $100 with 10 micron. Any thoughts on model or solution?

I also think I'll get a shop manual to do the carb cleaning myself. Cleaning bill was $300 (2.5 hours + filter and changed lower unit oil) I could get a new carb online for $250...

Any advice on a manual. Are the Seloc manuals better, or OEM Suzuki manual, or something else?

re: preventative maint, I run the gas out of the motor in the fall, and spray in fogging oil. Then put the gas in the car, and start with new gas in the spring.
Haven't used any other additives. Tried a generic stabilizer once, but it separated out from the gas by the end of the season which didn't instill confidence.

Any other thoughts on PM?
I've heard the best PM is to run the motor as often as possible. Sadly, I only get out every 1-3 weeks.
Do people clean out the carb at the end of every season?

Thanks again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

balin206

Cadet

ps, any thoughts on how difficult to clean the carb? Do you need a gasket kit?
I'm a little handy and have replaced a car water pump, and the like, but not done any work on an outboard, as I find it difficult to test without a barrel...

Thanks again.