yamaha 225 running rich after inj. service ?

tryc

Cadet
had fuel problems last year, with help from rodbolt and others was able to fix. problems are back again, my tank is the problem. i have installed a new tank and changed all filters(vst was clean ) but fuel psi. reg. filter was plugged almost solid. sent injectors to be cleaned & flow tested (inject. wrhs. in hemmingway s.c.) just reinstalled inj. & hooked up new tank,started motor & idle was higer (after warm-up) 1100 and getting some sheen (oil/gas) in water. did not get out for test run , wind blowing 30 plus. any ideas why it would do this? thanks. motor is 1997

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: yamaha 225 running rich after inj. service ?

sounds like your lp fuel pump diaphragms may have a tear in them... hence the fuel sheen on the water.

tryc

Cadet

would that cause the idle to be that high also? thought the lp pumps just fed the hp pump in the vst. before filter changes and inj. service idle was fine and had no sheen.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I believe Rodbolt has said he will not answer posts without the model #.
You may want to add it to your title.
I believe I have read about some problems like this before but not sure what motors. some will go into a mode that will make them run rich and locks timing that makes them idle fast cause by failed sensors maybe.
You need to check the pumps to be sure and hope Rodbolt will respond

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

rodbolt has a short memory.
Yamaha made injected 225 HP engines in about 7 configurations over the years maybe more.
some 2 stroke some 4 stroke.
99 belives correctly.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

the high idle could be related to a faulty sensor or a tstat stuck open. the motor never sees that it's warmed up correctly.
do you have a winky-blinky to check codes.

tryc

Cadet

thanks for advice, my motor is a 1997 yamaha 225 model s225txrv. i do not have access to blinky. i ran it at the dock after work today , and did not go for ride, thought running rich could harm motor ? besides sheen im getting little round balls from prop exhaust (3/8 dia.)oil/fuel floating up after running for a couple of minutes.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

thats an OX66 motor that uses CCS.
means some cylinders shut down between 800 and 1800 RPM.
high idle usually indicates ether it cant warm up or a sensor broke or failed or is dissconected.
usully a torn pump diaphram will cause a low idle with a sheen.
this motor has no IAC or ISC valve to control air,if somethig goes rich,leaking pumps or injectors the motor runs rich and idle suffers.
if a sensor fails idle timig is fixed at 7*BTDC and idle speed increases to about 1100 RPM.
WOT timig may or may not be fixed depending on the failure.
time to do some testing and inspecting.
fastest way is with a diagnostic test lamp.

tryc

Cadet

thanks for that info. is the diag. test lamp a yamaha specific tool ? i do not have access one. motors idle and fuel mix was fine before filter changes and inj. service. the injector service diagnostic report shows flow rate # one was hilighted 480, the other 5 were 488,488,492,492,492 all 6 had 11.8 in comment column next to each flow rate, is this helpful info.? as soon as i installed inj. and started motor idle stayed at 1100 rpm like you mentioned. the fuel psi. reg. filter was clogged almost solid, motor should not load up because of clean filter? (no manual adj.) could that hilighted inj. (480) be the cause ? thanks for the help.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I believe (again) that the test lamp is less than $100, and it is Yamaha

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the 480 was a partial clog as its flow rate is lower.
would cause a lean condition.
possibly.
however look carefully the report.
you will see one colum as a flow the other is a measuremet of volume vs injector on time.
doubl check your rail pressure,a restricted regulator filter will spike rail pressure and cause a very rich runnig condition as the ECU doesnt know rail pressure s excedding 35 PSI.

tryc

Cadet

i rechecked injector report, that was all the info. (vague report). fuel psi. reg. screen was cleaned while i waited for inj. to be shipped back to me. as you mentioned ,possible bad sensor, maybe fuel psi. stuck at level before screen was cleaned? i will try to buy the diag. test light to see if im showing any codes. thanks for all the helpful info.

tryc

Cadet

got winky/blinky from sim yamaha today, checked for codes after work. showed a single flash (all normal) also checked fuel psi., was 35 psi. steady while running at dock. (with motor off gauge fell about 5 lbs. after a few minutes ?) I am thinking its the lp fuel pump dia. is my problem. while running at idle (still high 1100 & getting sheen) if i squeeze prime bulb, idle comes down to 800/700, when i stop squeezing it returns to 1100 ? am i on the right track? thanks