Yamaha 2 stroke dying at 1/3 throttle

mdjm66

Recruit
I purchased a used yamaha 2 stroke 9.9 (2009 model) and used it for the first time last weekend.
Would only run at startup with the choke full and then 1/2 choke, but as soon as I would give it more throttle it would die. Eventually after playing around with it, we were able to troll around at minimum throttle, but, then again give it some gas, it would run rough and then die.
Runs great at full throttle, starts first pull, etc.
I was killing the engine by pulling the choke, as its a pain to pull out the kill switch each time, wondering it this was causing it.

I am new to outboard motors, so, anything that would be causing this? I did have the vent open on the gas tank, so, I am thinking bad fuel, etc?

Thanks

Dean

jesusn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Yamaha 2 stroke dying at 1/3 throttle

lisen my motor is doing tha same thing its so frustrting man it starts up good but wen i give it gas it dies makes no sence to me cus if i leav it were it runs slow eventualy it will just starty going faster all by itself but my new probem now is it wont even start now and if i get it to start it will run but if i shut it off it wont start again if its ben sitn there for a wile ive already goten stuck in the river a few times its no fun man