25 hp Suzuki problem

Dean1808

Recruit
My 25 hp four-stroke outboard just started cutting out after just a minute or so of running at full throttle and the red warning light came on. It starts and idles fine but starts sputtering when I attempt to accelerate. The oil level is full and the water pump indicator is spewing. This is the first time it's done this and I've had no other problems until now. Anybody have an idea what might be the culprit. Thanks

feraldprose

Recruit
Re: 25 hp Suzuki problem

I had the same problem so i asked suzuki about it and they told me that the engine was over reving. I got a bigger prop and the problem got better but when I would run empty the motor would over rev.

grid

Petty Officer 1st Class

The red light indicates a "problem," but you already know that. It also indicates that the rev-limiter is activating, and the engine will begin to misfire as you accelerate. If you've had no problems in the past, I wouldn't envision too flat a prop being the answer--unless you've changed boats. The "pee hole" isn't an answer unto itself: it'll show discharge as long as the water pump is working, but if the thermostat is sticking, or there's another source of water flow interruption that you don't notice at W-O-T, that may trigger the rev-limiter. It may be also that you don't notice the "pee stream" stop, because you're being a safe boater; it comes back as you reduce speed, but the engine's still hot, and the rev-limiter still engaged. You could have a simple, or complex problem here, and it may end up being something to involve a dealer with.

gtorr

Cadet

It could be that the acceleration pump plunger in the carb is sticking. I had a similar problem on my DF15 until I took the carb apart and gently filed off the sharp (sticking) edge on the bottom of the plunger and the edge of the little cylinder. Worked fine after that. (This assumes that you have the same type of carb as a tiller, manual start, DF15.)