Suzuki dt140 tilt trim not working

gtcripps

Recruit
I bought a used unit to replace my broken one and I think I have made a couple of moronic mistakes by not searching on line enough on what I needed to do to get the thing working.

First I have used hydraulic jack fluid instead of transmission fluid, do I need to remove that and refill with Dextron II ?

Next I opened the master (relief valve) while trying to bleed the air out of the system. Seemed like a reasonable idea at the time.
I have been told by a boat mechanic that that was a bad thing to do and take it to the dealer to assess the damage I have done.

Any insights ?

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Suzuki dt140 tilt trim not working

Not sure what kind of problems the jack fluid will cause. Yes, automatic trans fluid Dex II or higher quality. You may be able to remove the fill plug and lower the unit manually with the release screw to flush out the hydr jack fluid. Get ready for a mess. Not sure what year you have but on my '98 DT140 it calls for the following to fill and air bleed the system:

From the down position...

Open the manual valve (screw) two turns. If there is no snap rig or clip make sure you don't back the screw out all of the way.

Raise the engine and lock. This will be hard. Get someone to help. I have used a chain hoist.

Tighten the manual valve and fill the hyd res. Let it sit for 5 min.

Disengage lack, open manual valve 2 turns, and lower unit. Wait 5 min.

Raise engine with PTT motor and lock. Fill res. Wait 5 min.

Lower, wait, raise, fill, wait, lower, wait, raise, fill, wait, etc until res is full.

Hope this helps.