Suzuki DF6 doesn't idle well and falls off when put in gear

natwales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a suzuki df6. I believe it's a 2008, but regardless it has the newer carb with the square shaped float bowl. I'm having some troubles. It doesn't idle well. It'll start and idle ok in neutral, but as soon as I shift and put a load on it it usually dies. If I keep the throttle higher and then shift it'll sometimes hold on and then it runs great at WOT. Whenever I come off from WOT down to about 1/3 throttle it peters out. I checked the fuel filter and it seemed ok, but I replaced anyway. The sparkplug seems good too.

I assumed the carb might need cleaning so I took that off and didn't see any significant signs of crud, except for some light corrosion in the bottom of the float bowl and perhaps a bit on the pilot jet. Is this likely my problem? I ask because I can get the main jet out, but behind it there's another element - I think the main nozzle, that I cannot extract and I'm not sure how to get it out. Anything else to look for or will I likely be ok just cleaning those parts I can remove from the carb body?