Yamaha propeller shaft

babatten

Cadet
Hey guys,
I had a problem a while back with a different outboard and the guys on here were a huge help in getting the motor back running so i'm hoping it will be the same this time except my motor runs fine. It's the prop shaft that I need help with this time.

I have a 2001 Yamaha 60hp 2-stroke on my g3 bass boat. I was out fishing a few weeks back and hit what I think was a stump but i'm not 100% sure. Long story short I messed up my aluminum prop and had to replace it and thought that I had solved my problems. Well upon further inspection I noticed a slight wobble in my prop and realized that whatever I hit that day also bent my shaft. I had run the boat once since the incident not aware of the problem but since parked it and now I hope to replace the shaft myself.

My question is what is the procedure and tools list for replacing the shaft? Will I need a pulley? Do I need to replace any seals or bearings as well? I have replaced a reverse gear on an older Johnson motor but never a prop shaft and I can't seem to find any useful information online about how to do it so any tips or info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Yamaha propeller shaft

There's special tools, technique, seals, shims, O-rings to replace that shaft. May be good to get a Yamaha technician to do it for you. If you're really determined to do it yourself better get a Yamaha Repair Manual. Good Luck!

babatten

Cadet

That's just what I was hoping not to hear. I really can't swallow the bill to pay a technician to fix it but I don't really wanna make it worse by doing it myself. Anybody wanna buy a 60hp yamaha in need of repair?lol jk

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not a difficult job,no shimming required for changing a prop shaft on that model.
you will need the claw nut spanner and some seals and an oring.
service manual will be good as well.
should take a tech less than 2 hours to change a shaft if you bring in the lower unit.

babatten

Cadet

Oh that's a sigh of relief to hear that it's a possibility to do it myself. I don't personally have all the tools necessary but I do have access to a friends tools.

Where can I find a service manual for my motor? I looked for one last night for quite a while on the internet and couldn't find either a pdf or somewhere to order one from.

thanks for the help so far,

Brad

babatten

Cadet

Also not too sure what a claw nut spanner is??? Is it like a pulley?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

http://www.yamahapubs.com/

Or you can do a search for marine outboard manuals on the web

a claw nut spanner is a special Yamaha tool to fit the nut on the lower unit you will see it in the manual along with the tool part #

babatten

Cadet

Thanks 99Yam40, I think with a few buddies help the right tools and some patience we can get it done ourselves and save a little money. I'll post up our results to let ya'll know how it goes.

thanks

Brad