2000 Yamaha 150 2 Cycle Oil Issue

shut-up-n-fish

Recruit
My boys recently scrubbed my boat and unknowingly turned the ignition key on. This was discovered a couple of days later when I noticed 2 cycle oil under my boat on the driveway and found the key in the on position and the big reservoir empty. The motor was trimmed up and locked down in the transit postion. The battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge - assume it now has a dead cell or two.
The oil came from inside the cowling. Trimmed the motor to running position, pulled the cowling. The small reservoir on the side of the motor had a level ~1" above the high level mark and I could see that oil had been running out the top. The oil ran out of the cowling, into the transom well, and then out the transom drain onto the driveway. The large reservoir was pretty much empty.
I pulled the large tank out and inspected what I could. There is no oil in the bilge - everything was external. Several folks suggested that I refill the tank and run the motor on a water hose with the cowling removed for inspection. The oil hose inside ther cowling and the fitting appear to be fine. When the key is in the "on" position does the pump on the reservoir run continuously? Can the reservoir piump displace all its oil through the engine reservoir? Any suggestions or information would be appreciated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2000 Yamaha 150 2 Cycle Oil Issue

not supposed to happen but occasionally it does.
if battery voltage drops below about 9v the oil control can occasionally turn the transfer pump on.
pull the air box and drain the oil, also pull the bottom two spark plugs,pull the kill lanyard and spin the engine over.
refill the remote tank,reinstall everything and start it up.
thats why battery switches are so so nice.