Yamaha OX 66 150 hp trim unit

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have any of the owners or mechanics seen the end caps of the trim units back out/unscrew?

I'm asking because that is what I came across recently. From what I've been able to determine when I removed the unit from the engine, both end caps were not screwed down tight. This is something I've never seen

The strbrd side was up to where I could see the o-ring below the threads, and the port was almost that high. This caused the casting around the raised boss that the trim ram pushes against, to crush the end cap on the strbrd side, sqeezing the wiper seal at the top and severely binding the trim ram.

It distorted the groove the wiper seal goes in and now needs a new end cap. This also caused the o-ring to split and the white split ring above the o-ring on the lower end of the ram, to become twisted, due to the binding of the ram. I needed to tap out the ram from the end cap with a hammer.

The trim was working, one ram at a time. First port, then strbrd, and there was a leak at the strbrd wiper seal. The tilt wouldn't push at all.

When I took it all apart, it all looked good, except for the damage to the strbrd trim ram that I described. It's getting all new seals and one new end cap.

I'll post back when the new end cap is installed to let enyone who cares, know how it works.

I'm just wanting to know if anyone has ever seen this issue in a Yamaha T&T.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha OX 66 150 hp trim unit

only time I see that is when the last tech failed to properly torque the cap.
it torques to something like 80 ft pounds.
that is a showa unit, its also the same unit used on some suzukis,evinrudes and a few mercurys.
wasnt made by yamaha but for yamaha.

Bob Gilvary

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Yamaha OX 66 150 hp trim unit

Thank you.

Supposedly, no other tech has worked on this trim unit before. I'll do my best to get it torqued down.