optimum fuel for 200 HP Yamaha VX 200TCRC engine

nystad

Recruit
Just bought an 04 Ranger Reatta with this yamaha engine. First boat for me.

Regarding fuel, what would be the optimum strategy to keep engine in
tip top shape and to optimize efficiency. Marina fuel vs. standard vehicle
gasoline, specific additives to use every time one refuels, etc.... I won't typically have access to good marina grade fuel and have heard conflicting advice in terms of what grade of regular gas (premium or standard) to use. Some say adding sea foam a good alternative, others say no, etc. Anyone have advice here? What exactly would be in a general marina fuel and is this worthwile? I have heard that Valvtec fuel would be optimum fuel to use if available. Maybe they have an additive for vehicle fuel?

Also, any specific advice on when to replace a gas filter on this engine and if there are any upgrade filter options worth pursuing or if this is a minor factor?

thanks in advance,

nystad

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: optimum fuel for 200 HP Yamaha VX 200TCRC engine

clean fresh 87 octane fuel.
use the yamalube 2m, add ring free and use the startron blue fuel stabilizer at every fillup.
dispose of any fuel over 3 months old.
your setup is a 3.1L OX66 in a v max configuration.
test and clean the O2 sensor at least yearly the output voltage test after cleaning per the tech bullitens is critical.
if you dont already have a fuel water seperator install a 10 micron with at least 90GPH flow and change it every 50 hours.
water pump tstats and pressure control valve at least every other year.
gearcase oil check and change as nessasary but check at least every 30 days.
VST filter cleaning replacement once per year.
the reason for being specific with the oil and the additives is they have been tested for use with an O2 sensor,that sensor can become contaminated and take out a piston.}
lift pumps need replaceing about every three years.

nystad

Recruit

Thanks for the detailed information. I will store this info for future use.

One quick f/u question if u don't mind. So I bought the boat recently and it has maximum of 200 hours of use total and been taken care of extremely well. According to prior owner, only maintenance done on it has been winterizing yearly which included yearly change of gear fluid, spraying winterizing fluid into plugs and gas additive over winter. I think gear fluid and greasing yearly too. Other than that I think everything else is original fluids/parts. I pick up the boat in couple weeks from a marina. If you were in my position, which of these replacements, maintenance things you mentioned b/f would you go ahead and have done b/f I pick up boat and use it all summer? According to owner, its ready to go all year long w/o needing anything, but maybe I should do some of the preventative replacements as you mentioned before?

Basically, what should I have done now b/f I pick up the boat. I unfortunately won't have the skills to do any of this myself.

thanks again!

nystad

nystad

Recruit

Meant to ask one other question if you don't mind. The owner had used the boat 150-200 hours. He had never used any gas additives like the Ring Free product. He also never had replaced plugs, any sensors, etc. Basically has not done any engine maintenance aside from winter storing. Supposedly runs perfect right now though.

What would you recommend going ahead and prophylactially replacing b/f I pick up from Marina? Also, would you recommend the higher dose of Ring Free to start with, use for a tank or so, and then replace the plugs as they may get some carbon from dislodgement? I assume plugs are not a big deal to replace but I have no idea.

Since the boat is essentially 6 yrs old now although not that much water time, from your post you would recommend doing the following? Also, can most any Marina do these items, or need to be more specialized yamaha place?

-drain/replace the fuel (using 87 and not premium). (Been sitting for several months.)
-change the fuel water seperator now
-change water pump tstats and pressure control valve now
-change gearcase oil now
-change VST filter now
-change 02 sensor now
-I assume lift pumps could be left alone for now.

I don't mind spending some $$ now if this is necessary and will ensure a good engine for years to come. Have no idea what sort of bill this might rack up.

thanks so much for the help. Just starting out here w/ lots to learn.

-nystad