2002 Suzuki DF40 oil in airbox

sixguns

Cadet
Hey guys, question for y'all, but first, a little background. I work on a Marine Corps base at the local marina as their mechanic..been around cars all my life, moved to motorcycles, then picked up boats and PWC's. Been keeping their junk running for over a year now, but this has me stumped. We have a 17' Carolina Skiff with a DF40 on it that's got about 260 hours (it's the patrol/safety boat..doesn't see much use) and I've replaced a few things on it as the needs arise...fuel pump, plugs, water pump, etc. Well, now I have oil dripping into the airbox that has me stumped. Running at idle, you can see oil vapor puffing from the breather hose coming from the cylinder head cover. I've taken it off, no junk inside to block oil passages, but on the backside of the cover, there's a plate that stands maybe 1 1/2" off of the cover itself. 3 screws hold it to, but they're RTV'd all to hell and there's no way to take that plate off. Like I said, I moved from cars to boats, so my common sense tells me there should be a diaphragm or check valve in there to allow air to move around, but not oil. But I can't get the plate off to inspect so my best guess is to replace the head cover for $200 and some change and see if that fixes it. I'm not throwing any codes, couldn't tell you what damage it does to the oil level cause I've run it twice in this condition, but taken her back out of the water when I've seen the oil. Anyone have any insight on this? If it were my boat, I'd have more confidence in buying parts, but since I'm spending gov. money, I'd like to not look like a complete moron when trying to explain why new parts didn't work....wives are easier to talk down than a retired Master Guns. :) Thanks.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 2002 Suzuki DF40 oil in airbox

My computer is acting up, so can only read part of your post. The plate is a baffee plate that suppose to only allow vaper to the hose. The RTV may be the problem . there is a drain at bottom of baffee, clean the drain. After cleaning the drain, it still pumps a lot of oil, do cylinder leak down test. The hose is a poor mans automotive PCV system. There was a service bulletin on this.

sixguns

Cadet

I figured it was something along those lines! Thanks for the reply..the RTV isn't a shadetree job..I'm the only one who has ever had that cover off and it's factory sealant. But they gooped it up real good...I'm gonna take in a couple of my good screwdrivers in this weekend (all the shop gear is pretty much junk..missing teeth or rounded edges.) and take a swing at it again. I appreciate the help. On a side note, where can you find the service bulletins? I googled it, but couldn't come up with anything. Isn't that something the local Suzuki marine dealer should have access to?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Dealer would have the information. If you work for the GOV, should not be a problem to get in the service schools. It may be possible to get manuals and service lit direct from Suzuki. Send email or call them and ask what can they do for their country.