Small leak from Engine oil drain screw Suzuki DF15

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I have a DF15 and since changing the oil there has been a slight leak at the oil drain screw on the engine block. I ordered another screw gasket today and installed and noticed there is still a leak

Seems the copper gasket isn't making a tight enough seal (not sure why its copper) and I don't want to overtorque.

Has anyone else came across this? Should I use RTV or Teflon tape on the screw as well to stop the small leak? Just wondering some suggestions.

fishndirk

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Small leak from Engine oil drain screw Suzuki DF15

Could be a couple things. Look at the seating surface for the gasket on the engine side for scraches or pitting. Is it a crush gasket or just a solid ring like a washer. Iether way its copper because this material bends and will fill in minor imperfections in the surfaces. RTV will work just make sure its the high temp red RTV. I wouldnt worry about over torqueing unless the threads are real fine and your using a 1/2 inch drive ratchet or somethin. By the way how does that motor perform in general, just cureous cause im thinkin about buying one for my boat.

simplystressed

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Small leak from Engine oil drain screw Suzuki DF15

Could be a couple things. Look at the seating surface for the gasket on the engine side for scraches or pitting. Is it a crush gasket or just a solid ring like a washer. Iether way its copper because this material bends and will fill in minor imperfections in the surfaces. RTV will work just make sure its the high temp red RTV. I wouldnt worry about over torqueing unless the threads are real fine and your using a 1/2 inch drive ratchet or somethin. By the way how does that motor perform in general, just cureous cause im thinkin about buying one for my boat.

Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll see if I can torque it down a bit. Seems to be a solid ring washer. Maybe I'll add some teflon tape as well.

Motor otherwise runs like a champ. Very quiet, lots of power. Doesn't troll very slow but maybe its a 4 stroke thing? Love the motor though.