60 HP Yamaha Outboard Motor

Newfielad

Recruit
Hello people. I'm new to this site, so I'm not overly familiar with the rules of posting, so thank-you for your patience.

I am thinking of buying a used 2-stroke Yamaha, and the seller says the compression on the middle cylinder is low. He says that the other 2 are > 100 but the middle one is around 70. I'm wondering what would be the worst-case scenario that I would encounter if I bought this motor. Not sure of the year; I asked the guy to get the model number for me. He says the problem may be the rings, but, could it be something worse? Could the cylinder wall be damaged?

Thanks

Tony

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 60 HP Yamaha Outboard Motor

Is the low compression the reason he's selling the motor and does the price reflect this issue? The problem could be carbon-stuck rings or a scored cylinder wall, or both. I'd also be interested in what caused this problem to begin with, so not to repeat it after repairs. If the price is low enough to pay to have repairs done, then maybe, but if was me, I'd be looking for a good, healthy motor. Good Luck!

Newfielad

Recruit

Thanks Robert.

How could I find out the year/age of the motor?

The buyer just gave me the following info

E60MLHQ

6K5 L305909

Thanks

Newfielad

Recruit

Good day people. I have an opportunity to buy a 2000 60hp Yamaha. I want to test the compression before I buy, so I'm wondering:

1. Can an automotive compression tester be used on an outboard or do I specifically need an outboard compression tester?

2. What should the compression reading (PSI) be on each cylinder.

I understand that all plugs must be removed and grounded on the engine, and remove the lanyard from the kill switch, before testing the cylinders.

Thanks guys

Tony

robert graham

Admiral

Apparently the seller is aware of the problem and just wants to get rid of this motor. If the rings are stuck and/or cylinder walls are scored, then it's going to cost you $$ to have it repaired. If he can make the price low enough so you can pay for repairs, and IF you have a place nearby who can repair it, then Maybe! If it was me, I'd most likely pass on this one and find a motor in good running condition. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

duck0872

Seaman Apprentice

Low compression can be a giant can of worms. If it were me I'd assume worst case scenario; i.e. scored cylinder walls and lots of repair time.