30 hp Yamaha really bad carbs from sitting

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
1989 Yamaha 30 hp model 30ESF

Trying to save these three carbs that are really bad from sitting with fuel for years.

First problem is I can not get the low idle jets out. Is the only solution to drill it it out, any tips? I tried penitrating oil and heat, now nothing to grab to.

Second, one had the needle valve stuck & rusty, it appears the seat is not a replacable part, how does one get the seat all shiney clean agian? I don't think its pitted but it is black.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 30 hp Yamaha really bad carbs from sitting

You could pay a Yamaha dealer to clean and rebuild your carbs, but worse case you may end up buying 3 new or used carbs. Might find an on-line used outboard parts supplier twho could sell you a set of carbs off a used motor, but you'd still have to have them cleaned, set, adjusted. If you're still wanting to do this yourself, you can buy a gallon of Berryman's B-12 carb cleaner in a gallon can at Autozone, and soak your carb and parts for a day or so, give it try. Good Luck!

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I have no problem cleaning them but can't get the jets out. Already drilled & tapped one low idle jet succesfully not sure if I can do the main jet. These carbs are really bad.

robert graham

Admiral

That's too bad, they must have had some water in the float chambers when the motor was put up for the season. All you can do is try to drill, tap, clean and maybe get it back running, but it sounds like they may be ruined. I've seen water corrode a hole right through the float bowl. Good luck and please let us know how you do with this.