'89 Yamaha 225 Excel- Shift Shaft Replacement

hicruise55

Cadet
I dont have my FSM yet but have read about the headache that replacing the shifter rod can be... the inside and rest of the engine dont seem to be corroded too much? I have read about bolt removal tricks, drilling/bleach/PB Blaster/brake fluid/heat ect... Was told the replacement rod was $70 but with labor it would be $700! I have a higher than average mechanical aptitude but have never played with an outboard...

I would also like to replace the impeller(maybe housing) and clean the carbs...

Mechanic quoted me 1500+/- should I just do it myself? Or leave it to the pros!?

AznDave

Recruit
Re: '89 Yamaha 225 Excel- Shift Shaft Replacement

you have to pull the power head to replace that shaft, mine started snapping left and right, i had to get someone to drill them out and replace..cost me 350 plus parts for the job, carbs and impeller you can do yourself take everything apart on carb but do not mess with air screw..spray brake cleaner on all parts. then re assemble..pulling the lower unit to change impeller housing is easy, just dont forget about the bolt under the zinc to drop the lower unit..hope that helped

hicruise55

Cadet

Thanks for the reply AznDave, its more comforting knowing someone else has been there... lol

Well I just got my FSM from Yamaha; my plugs, impeller/housing, shifter rod shaft, and thermostat should be here soon! I am just over $300, now the labor myself... wish me luck!

I started loosening the bolts a little yesterday, some looened, one snapped :mad: hope the rest come out fine... Aaron

cabo kid

Recruit

Hey, found a company on internet that makes a two piece shaft.You just drop
the lower unit and lower carburetor.took me less than two hours.You might want to replace the water pump while lower unit is off.I think the guys name
was shift shaft.