Suzuki DT 15 Excessive Cooling Water

Wiarton

Recruit
My 1987 DT15 is filling the lower part of the cowling with excessive water flow from the tube running the length of the cylinder. I understand some water should exit there, as there are drainage holes in the lower cowling, but this is too much. Engine runs fine, lots of water coming out drainage holes in the upper part of the lower unit.
Just can't understand why so much water would exit out this hole, my concern is that water is being diverted from somewhere else which will cause an overheating problem at some point.

Any ideas?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Suzuki DT 15 Excessive Cooling Water

All the outboards I have seen are not designed to dump water into the cowling, maybe you are missing a hose.

Wiarton

Recruit

Thanks for the comments, I have owned the engine since it was new and there is nothing missing, the workshop manual indicates that some water should flow out of this tube and exit at the rear of the cowling where there is a small drain hole, this issue is the amount of water exiting this tube running the length of the cylinder head, it's far too much for the drain hole to handle causing the flooding............

It's very odd!

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Post a picture if you can.
Could it be that a restriction has opened up or come out?
I would hook up a hose to it and run it out the cowling like all the other outboards with the plastic restrictor

Wiarton

Recruit

I think you may be correct on the possibility of a restricter missing, I washed all the engine parts prior to re-assembly and dried them with compressed air. I may have blown something out of that cylinder head tube during the process, which would explain the excess flow.
Thanks for your help, I'll give it a try.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

It always helps to state when this started and what you did previous.sounds like you found your problem.