yamaha 96 225hp saltwater series fuel pump stays on.

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yesterday i finished installing the new ignition switch on my boat. I turned on the motor for a few seconds and when i shut it off i could hear the fuel pump going "ta ta ta ta ta" like pumping. There isn't a fuel line connected to the motor yet, i was running out of the fuel that was left in the fuel filter. Is it normal for the fuel pump to keep pumping or making that noise after the engine is off?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: yamaha 96 225hp saltwater series fuel pump stays on.

no
double check your switch wiring.
that pump should only run(carbed 3.1L) any time the key is on.
key on yellow wire has 12V, key off the white is grounded and the yellow wire zero volts.

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep thats the way i have it. How would the motor know when i have the key on or off? There no yellow wire going back to the motor.

I aslo posted an earlier thread asking about where the positive lead goes on the motor, cus the owner told me it goes on the starter selenoid but im not sure if thats correct. I have a thick gage red wire which looks to be cut going to a box where some other red and white wires are coming out of. This box has a fuse like device inside and connects to the rectifier which has some water tubing going through it. I thought the + lead would go there and from there it goes all over the engine.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

do you actually have the manual,factory yamaha?
at the switch,red is power from the motor,yellow is power for ign to the motor at key on,black is ground white is kill, dark blue isnt used but is there and brown is start.
the ECU knows you turned the key off because of the ground applied to the white wire and the loss of 12V on the yellow wire.
some pics would be nice about now.