15 HP Yamaha 2003 leaking lower unit seals - how to remove?

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
How do you remove the dual drive shaft & prop shaft oil seals on the above motor? Is is just a mater of digging & prying?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 15 HP Yamaha 2003 leaking lower unit seals - how to remove?

the propshaft and carrier come out together. the pinion nut must beremoved and the driveshaft and carrier come out together.
try it anyother way and you will most likly post about the cost of the castings.
do you have the factory yamaha service manuals? if not get one or take the lower to a dealer.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Rodbolt, I can't have a manual for every motor I work on, that's why I come here, to the experts. I just want to replace the seals, are you saying I have to take the lower unit all apart to do that? For the prop shaft they are in 683-45361-02-4D CAP, LOWER CASING don't they just pound out? The drive shaft ones are in 63V-45331-00-5B HOUSING, BEARING , same deal don't thety just pound out and press in?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

book says the propshaft bearing carrier will come out with a puller seperate of the prop shaft.
the driveshaft bearing carrier requires removal of the pinion nut and the drive shaft before housing removal.
no I dont pound on anything, dont use a swing press to install much and the reason I am an expert is I belive in reading the manual,RTFM.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Rodbolt, all set job well done, was easy as apple pie