9.9 suzuki with oil in exhaust

pirahna

Recruit
Just started my 1984 9.9 Suzuki and noticed oil coming out of the prop area. Soooo, I replaced the O-ring and seals on the prop shaft, but that didn't change anything. I noticed that the oil was coming from the exhaust. I could hold my hand over the exhaust from the prop and it was spitting droplets of black goo. The spark plug was oiled up pretty good too, but it ran fine, except for the excessive smoke. Is this just old gas?? or something else internal?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 9.9 suzuki with oil in exhaust

Is this a premix 2 stroke?

Check fuel pump to see if it has a bad diaphragm dumping too much fuel or carb flooding.
Usually you can tell lower unit oil by the smell, it stinks a lot more than the 2 stroke bunt oil.
If it has old fuel in system drain and install fresh fuel and oil

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

Just started my 1984 9.9 Suzuki and noticed oil coming out of the prop area. I noticed that the oil was coming from the exhaust. I could hold my hand over the exhaust from the prop and it was spitting droplets of black goo.

your not running it without water right????

the black goo is most likely just the soot(carbon) acumulated in the exhaust..

robert graham

Admiral

If you fogged the motor for storage that could account for black smoke, or you may just have some oil left in the motor caused when the gas evaporates it leaves behind the oil. Maybe take motor out on the river and run the hound out of it to "blow it out". Fresh gas with correct oil mix ratio may help. Good Luck!

pirahna

Recruit

Right you are!! Emptied the old gas from the float ball all the way back to the gas tank and put in some new juice. The smoke eventually went away(for the most part) and the oil stopped coming out of the exhaust. It was old gas all along. I heard that the ethanol in the gas now days causes water buildup over long non-use periods and without the sta-bil gas treatment, problems may occur. As soon as the rain stops, I'm going to the lake.

Thanks

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right you are!! Emptied the old gas from the float ball all the way back to the gas tank and put in some new juice. The smoke eventually went away(for the most part) and the oil stopped coming out of the exhaust. It was old gas all along. I heard that the ethanol in the gas now days causes water buildup over long non-use periods and without the sta-bil gas treatment, problems may occur. As soon as the rain stops, I'm going to the lake.

Thanks

It is totally normal for "exhaust" to come out through the hub area of the prop, every two stroke does it :cool:

Don't feel bad, I never knew either at one point :cool: