Suzuki DT9.9c fuel pump issues

nuffsaid

Seaman
Last year I bought a used Suzuki DT9.9c outboard to use on my 12' aluminum boat. After a thorough cleaning of the carb, it started right up and seemed to run strong. I bought a used older fuel tank and a new hose and quick release fittings to fit the motor. The problems is that the fuel pump isn't drawing enough fuel to keep the motor running. I installed a fuel pump kit last year and it didn't help. While I used the motor last year, I hooked up an electric fuel pump so that I could go fishing and it worked fine with the exception of a few drops of gas coming from the connection at the motor. This year, I bought a new fuel pump and installed it. It still doesn't seem to be pumping fuel the way it should, any thoughts?

nuffsaid

Seaman
Re: Suzuki DT9.9c fuel pump issues

Does anyone know how to perform a fuel pump test to see if it is working correctly?

nuffsaid

Seaman

I am back to trying to make this fuel pump work so I can use this motor as a kicker on my 16 foot fishing boat. Removed the carb today and cleaned it up good, cleaned all the passages and jets. Checked the fuel pump and everything seems in order. I have bypassed all possible air leak sources and have a hose running directly into a gas can. Still doesn't seem to be pulling fuel. Any thoughts?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Hook up a fuel pressure/vacuum gauge to the suction side of the pump with a tee fitting to see if it is pulling a vacuum and if there is a restriction in the supply.
You do have a primer bulb in the line also , so you can prime the system?
Will the motor run if you keep pumping the primer bulb?

nuffsaid

Seaman

It is fixed! The check ball on the fuel inlet wasn't letting fuel flow. I bypassed the fitting and the fuel pump pulled fuel without a hitch. I am mad at myself for not checking this earlier. I removed the o ring that holds the check ball in and removed it. She purs like a kitten now. Now to put this motor on my fishing boat for use as a kicker.