Main Engine Oil Tank - 1988 130hp Yamaha

fsutim

Seaman
I have a 1988 130hp Yamaha that is not pumping oil from the reserve tank. The main engine tank is still 50% full. While I am troubleshooting this I just want to make sure that if I start the engine the oil from the main tank will be fed into the engine. From what I can see it looks like it gets fed from the main tank to a mechanical pump which feeds each cylinder. I just don't want to do any damage while troubleshooting. Also, does the main tank only get fed from the reserve when the engine is running? Any help would be appreciated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Main Engine Oil Tank - 1988 130hp Yamaha

remote tank is in the hull, engine tank is on the powerhead. reword your question because its confusing me.
while your playing do a forum search keywords precision blend and you will find a lot of information.
do not use main tank and reserve tank, it simply gets confusing.

fsutim

Seaman

Sorry for the confusion. The remote tank is not pumping oil to the engine tank . If i press the emergency pump switch with the key in the on position, engine not on, should it pump oil into the engine tank? Also, is it safe to start the engine if there is oil in the engine tank? I will read up on the precision blend forums to become familiar with the system. Thanks.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had to replace the lift pump on my 97 Yamaha 130.

The rocker switch did nothing, to fill the tank on the power head.

Test that there is power going to the big tank. (The one in the boat)

But my guess is the lift pump is toast.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

key on engine off the emergency switch with turn on the transfer if all circuits are good.
the brown wire at the transfer pump has 12V anytime the key is on, the blue wire is grounded by either the emergency switch or the oil control module.