Suzuki DT115 oil injection question.

bone-a-fide

Cadet
Having issues with my oil flow alarm. 1987 Suzuki DT115.

In the past I have had issues with it going off that was RPM related. I have found this to be usually a bit of a clog on the screen of the sensor. Easy fix, clean it up, problem gone.

Last time this happened, I went ahead and replaced the sensor. Ran fine for a few outings. Last time out, the oil flow alarm started going off at a low RPM. It was intermittently going off, sometimes RPM-related, and sometimes just at idle. I believe the engine was getting oil, as it is smoking a bit as usual and more when it has sit for a few minutes and restarted.

What should I do? Replace the sensor again? I have never done any maintenance on the oil injection system. What is recommended if any here?

BOAT DOCTOR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Suzuki DT115 oil injection question.

i would change your oil filter.suppose to change once a year.if you mix your two stroke oil with different name brands the oils will tend to gel up causing clogging issues

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

I blew my '96 DT115 due to oil jelling in the tank. My recomendation, dump the oil from the tank and make sure you don't have a glob of oil in the bottom like I did. The flow sensor is the filter but it could be cleaned with spray solvent. You didn't say but I assume you bled the oil system after replacing the filter/sensor. This has to be done any time you remove an oil hose for maintainance.

bone-a-fide

Cadet

always use the same brand oil.

Gonna just replace the filter and see what happens. I has only been a few trips on it though. Figured it was the filter, only thing that made me think otherwise is in the past when the filter started to clog, alarm would be rpm rated, this time it was really intermittent. But will change out the filter/sensor, check the tank and pickup and go from there.

What do you mean by bleeding the system. I always put the new filter in, run some oil thru and then hook into the pump assembly. Should I do anything else?

Marion Moore

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have to bleed the air out of the pump or it won't pick up the oil and pump the correct amount to the vapor seperator. There is a bleed screw (bolt) on the back of the pump. I don't remember the size, 8 or 10 mm. You will have to open the screw and run the engine to get the air out. It makes a horrible mess. You will have to stuff lots of rags under the engine.

Mix 50:1 oil in a tank and hook it up to your engine.
Fill the oil tank and hook up all oil lines etc.
Open the bleed screw and let the oil flow for a few seconds.
Start the engine and let the oil flow from the bleed screw, move the oil flow arm full forward to speed the process.
Run the engine for 3 or 4 minutes to make sure all of the air is out.
Tighten the screw, shut the engine down, and clean up the mess.