Suzuki DF140 Charging 2 batteries

Wrexxer

Cadet
Hey all,

I've recently purchased a Crestliner boat mainly for fishing so I will be using an electric trolling motor with a Deep Cycle battery.

Now, the engine on the boat is a Outboard 2004 Suzuki DF140 4 stroke and it's charging the crank battery but not the Trolling battery.

I was thinking of simply adding a battery isolator to charge both batteries but I'm unsure if this is a suported way of operating. Is it too much to ask from this engine?

If it is the way to go, do any of you have suggestion on which isolator to purchase and maybe a wiring diagram.

If it is not the proper way of doing I'm totally opened to other suggestions...

Thanks,

PS: Should the radio be mounted on the trolling battery?
PS2: Sorry if my writting is bad, english is not my primary language.

Wrexxer

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DF140 Charging 2 batteries

I guess this post could of been posted in the electrical forum...so if a Moderator reads this it could be moved...I didn't see that forum when posting

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Suzuki DF140 Charging 2 batteries

Hey Wrexxer, Welcome to iboats!

No, you are not asking too much. The 2004 DF 140 has plenty of charging power for two batteries. I believe it is a 24 amp system but someone will correct me if im wrong:)

A standard setup for what you've got is to get a perko battery switch. The switch would have the options for bat 1, bat 2, both and off. The way this works is you switch to bat 1 when starting then both as you cruise out to your fishing hole.

When you get there and shut off the main motor, switch to bat 2. Then when you are ready to leave switch to bat 1 for starting and you're good to go.

PS. The radio should be wired into the main power as controlled by the switch. That way you can run it off either battery; and you should switch to bat 2 whenever the main motor is off.

Cheers