Yamaha 115TLRV - what is the red wire to the top of internal oil tank

kofalk

Cadet
From the top of mye internal oil tank i have a set of wires coming out with the colors red, black, brown and white.

The red wire has Y connected to it which is not connected to anything. Is this supposed to be hot? Should it be connected to + battery? What is it for?

You can see the wires in the attached image. The Y connection on the red wire is right under the starter motor.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0

kofalk

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 115TLRV - what is the red wire to the top of internal oil tank

Bump! Can anyone shed some light on the red wire connected to oil level sensor?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

not used on that model,it should and used to have a rubber plug in that female socket.
some prior years had a diode cut in that red wire to isolate the oil alarm.
plug it into 12V and your liable to post about failed engine oil tank switch and a failed oil control module.
black is switch ground,white is grounded to command transferpump off,brown is grounded to command transfer pump on and red is grounded for pump on,again, and RPM reduction and the visual and audible alarm.

kofalk

Cadet

I had a feeling i should investigate what it was for, before doing anything about it :)

Thank you rodbolt! I've seen some of your posts in here and you obviously know your way around yamaha engines.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hold on.
I was looking at a diagram for a 115 T model.
look very carefully under the oil control module area.
your going to look for a blue wire with a red tracer and a male bullet. its mostly going to be inside a black vynil sleeve but it enters the engine harness just aft and below the oil tank. if your model has this blue wire with a red tracer plug it into the female red wire at the oil tank switch connector.
ill send ya a PM.

kofalk

Cadet

I?ll doublecheck tomorrow, but i am pretty sure there's no blue wire with male connector down there.

but if there is, and i leave it unconnected, the engine would fail to give me low oil alarm and rpm reduction?