HELP!!! '99 Suzuki DT115

trevorjt7

Recruit
First timer here...

So, after a long winter in the south I was eager to get the boat back in the water... I wanted to do some maintenance before I took her out, so I did the usual..gear oil, f/w seperator, primer bulb, plugs, etc... I also changed the impeller..

Got her in the water, made it a quarter mile and the buzzer started going off..Once I throttled back to idle, I saw white smoke coming out the exhaust.. Obviously I limped back home very slowly... This buzzer/smoking continued intermittently until I got ashore..

Please help... I have been told to clean the poppet valve, but I cannot locate the damn thing.. I plan to change the thermostat...Also, I noticed when changing the impeller that the exhaust plate was corroded..Could that cause this???? Please help..

Thanks

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: HELP!!! '99 Suzuki DT115

If it is corroded to where it will allow water to leak by or allow air to be sucked into pump then there could be not enough water flow to the motor.

Your manual does not show the PRV and how to get to it?

trevorjt7

Recruit

Yes and No..

Well it says it is located underneath the block... I guess my question was how to access it.. Or the easiest way to access it....

I am planning on dropping the lower unit today and replacing the exhaust plates....ugh..

BOAT DOCTOR

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would change plates first and check the rubber under the plate that will burn from exhaust to.the water poppet valve is under powerhead you have to pull the powerhead means block

trevorjt7

Recruit

I checked the plates...ugh..pretty bad..

I am waiting on my parts from BrownsPoint..exhaust plate, gaskets, thermostat..

I plan to replace these parts and put in the water and test it.... If the condition continues I will pull the block....double ugh...