Yamaha 115hp 2000 2 stroke carb repair question

abieljuarez

Recruit
After 5-6 years of fun with my boat and no mechanical issues, I started having problems in the last few months, somehow water got inside the fuel tank, lots of water (1-2 gl), since then the engine performance was never the same and it was getting worse everytime, although no issue at all at WOT, I of course I had to clean the fuel tank and also changed most of fuel system on the boat side, I sprayed the carbs with carb cleaner and also tried several other carb cleaners (the ones you put on the fuel tank) with no luck, until the engine gave up and did not start one day, I tried everything for hours with no luck (that was a bad day since I was in the water in the middle of nowhere fishing, the towing expense was not fun)

So finanlly I took the boat to the nearest yamaha dealer, they told me that they had to "adjust the choke" to be able to start the engine (I need to learn / understand that better, dont want to pay towing expenses ever again), but they also noticed that the performace of the engine was far from good and told me that the carbs needed to be cleaned/repaired, they qouted me for parts and service $500 + tax , so I told them I had to think about it for a few hours (this was Tuesday at 11am) I was ready to call them back and tell them to go ahead when they called me back around 1pm and told me that they had made a mistake in the quote, that the carb repair kit cost $100 each not $150 as they had calculated in the qoute, therefore the qoute should be $400 + tax, so I told them to go ahead and repair the carbs and asked him how long was going to take, he said they were going to take the carbs apart that moment that in a couple of days the boat was going to be ready.

But, they called me yesterday around 1pm to tell me that the boat was ready and working fine, they even took the boat out to the water and it is running good, ready for me to pick it up!!!

so after all this explanation and long story, my question for all you that nows much better than me is: is it possible that they cleaned and replaced both carb repair kits in less than one day???? does this sounds right to you??

I will go to pick up the boat tomorrow and of course to pay the $400, but I want to make sure the carbs were serviced as qouted, is there a way to tell without taking them apart??

Thanks in advance for your reply, this is a great site by the way!!!

abieljuarez

Recruit
Re: Yamaha 115hp 2000 2 stroke carb repair question

I went to picked up my boat at the dealer and tooked it to the water to test, the motor is running so good, it was worth the $400.

A piece of advice, if you can afford $400, take the boat to the dealer and have the carbs serviced by profesionals (if that is your boat problem as well).

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Yamaha 115hp 2000 2 stroke carb repair question

You could have asked what they found.

If there was water and trash in the carbs then a quick clean and put back together with the new parts will not take long, but if there was varnish and or corrosion then it would have to be soaked or cleaned with an ultrasonic unit and that would take longer.

It really is not that hard to do if you have the proper tools and equipment and the manual to give the procedures for everything like setting them properly after putting back on.

Time is money, some of us have more of one than the other and that is why some do it themselves, but having a professional do it is never the wrong thing to do as long as you can afford it and are happy with the results.

Install a water /fuel separator and change often.
keep the water out out of the fuel tank and the carbs and run the motor often, and enjoy.