Suzuki Head gasket Picture added

brents

Seaman
I am working on a 1984 Suzuki DT 115. I recently did a decarb, and put in new plugs (replaced champions with NGK). After the first run on the new plugs, I brought the boat home and pulled the plugs to have a look. The motor seemed to run without incident, I really had no reason to check other than my own curiosity.

Plug #2 was very clean, the others looked normal. So I decided to pull the head, and found the head cover gasket had blown in a couple places around cylinder 2 & 3.

Also, the back of the head, has a bit of pitting in the dome. Should I be concerned with the pitting? Would the cylinder head cover gasket cause water to get in to cylinder 2? My head gasket appears to be OK, not obvious damage anywere.

I tested compression when I bought the boat, then again before the decarb, and after the decarb. Each time, cylinders 1,3&4 had 118lbs, while cylinder 2 has maintained 110lbs.

Sorry for the long post, thanks everyone for your help.

I thought adding a picture would elaborate a bit on the pitting. This is the back of the head, notice the pitting in the dome.
189.jpg

brents

Seaman
Re: Suzuki Head gasket Picture added

??

I am assuming the pitting in the picture suggests at some point in time something happened to the motor, such as a ring breaking, or other incident as the pitting looks more like dings from metal. Cylinder walls look recently honed, I can still see some crosshatch. Is the pitting something I should be concerned with? Will it cause other problems in the future?