got to love your yamaha vst tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well its that time of yr again were all good yamaha owners yank half there motor apart to get to there vst tank, all I want to know is what retard designed these motors so the vst tank is burried behind an hrs worth or r&r to get to it, that must of been the part that yamaha let the morons at mercury build into the units, it really reminds me of the older mercs were it use to take an hr to change out a starter, now if you ever get the pleasure to work on a honda the vst tank is right out in the open were you can get to it, I think my next motor will be a honda but I have to wait for this yamaha to die and I think im gonna have a long wait, never in my life have I seen a motor that has 3 filters on the motor and one on the fuel system, maby fuel injection is not a good thing on outboards ? and with 4 filters I still have to pull the vst tank once a yr and pull my injectors and clean them, ok im done bitchin its time to go tear the girl down

robert graham

Admiral
Re: got to love your yamaha vst tank

It's called progress, modern technology, that's why I'm still running my carbed, 2 stroke, pre-mix Yamaha. Too many parts jammed under those new motor shrouds for this shade tree mechanic. Let's get it going!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if you spend more than 45 minutes replacing the VST filter its you thats the retard not the engineer.
doesnt matter if its HPDI or OX66 on a two stroke or maybe 1.5 hours on an EFI 4 stroke.
and your EFI,whatever design, has way more than 3 filters under the hood.
try posting a model number and maybe you can get some tips.

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hahaha sounds like your the retard rod I have a 05 efi115 4stroke yamaha and can pull the whole match in 1hr and I dont know what motors your talkin about but on this motor theres 3 fuel filters on the motor not counting the screens on the injectors, ive been doing ob s for more then 30 yrs and am an omc master tec retired so I think I got her under control, if I get in a pinch Ill shoot ya an email hahaha,

ps rod you need to work on your bed side manner its not nice to call people retards,,,, engineers , lawyers and nancy palosie dont count

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

ok
but your still the tard. :)
I am a current YAMAHA master tech not retired yet. one of about 70 in the US.

the F115 prior to 05 did not have the inline filter between the lift pumps and the VST.
so with only what you posted we had no clue.
yamaha made many engines with EFI in both two and four stroke and many models with DFI.
the filter on the f115 high pressure pump is about the size of a pinky fingernail, its also the same part number as the F225.
the filter on the F75,F90 and a few others is ten times the surface area.
however the key on your F115 is to use part number 68V-24502-02-00 which is the latest E fuel compatible inline filter and its 10 micron.
however the high pressure fuel pump, like the jonny rude 4 stroke EFI motors,the Honda, the suzuki and most all other EFI motors is a blow through design.
means you get carbon dust from the brushes in the high pressure/VST sideand this dust clogs that stupid tiny filter fairly quickly.
but can you tell me how long it takes to do the fuel system on an F250B, or an F350 ?
so you come on bashing and I am the TARD.
me thinks not :):)
my bedside manner is similar to some of the other professionals that post here.
give scanty information, get short snippy answers.

but let me ask you this, where else under the hood would you mount the VST on an inline 4 and not make the cover diminsions absurd ?

I am also certified for Volvo, Mercruiser, Crusader,indmar, PCM and marine power, just my current certs :).

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hahaha didnt mean to scratch your scab rod hahaha, the later mod 2004 yamaha efi 4 strokes also came with the inline 50 dollar filter wrapped in electrical tape ( I allways loved telling my customers thats how it comes new im not lieing to ya) well the operation went off without a hitch except for a bad lookin vst tank gasket that will have to be changed, also I noticed my hp pump has some surface rust on it, got to love our new fuels, my hp filter had the usual 25% blockage, O and I timed myself from taking off the hood to having the vst in my hand and I was trying to do it like I was working flat rate 44min with all hand tools no air, I guess the old dog can still hunt O and rod I too hold many nice wall hanngers Yamaha ,Volvo, Mercruiser, Crusader, indmar, PCM, OMC1, OMC2 comprehensive, OMC3 fuel injection Omc 4 stroke systems and OMC master tec, spader school, also worked in the 70s for sears and robucks marine testing unit on fort myers bch fla, I was a tec then a service manager for the 6th largest marina chain in fla and the worlds largest aquasport dealer, then I got a family and those 70hr weeks just didnt fit in any more. O and ROD U R the Tard hahaha jk man have a great nite

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I almost forgot about u asking me were I would mount the vst well the other side of the motor would work I think

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

fresh water 100hrs and salt water 38hrs, this is its second vst cleaning, this time it wasnt really bad but there was a tiny bit of funk in the vst tank, the reason I did the tank cleaning is I was in a bad truck wreck and had to have 4 sst pins put in my shoulder and half of my rt knee cap taken out so I had to let the boat sit for 7months while I got better from the operations, and I took the family out last weekend for the first time sence the wreck and it just didnt want to run right so I figured id do a cleaning on her and change out all the filters spark plugs and fuel hoses cause here in the usa they sell us gas that is really crap and will make all kinds of bad things happen to your ob if you let it sit in there, its really not a hard job to do maby 1.5hrs for the avg guy that can change a tire on a car

robert graham

Admiral

Retards!...that's funny. If Reelnative and Rodbolt are outboard "retards", then I don't know what that would make a "mere mortal" mechanic like me.
You guys are a real hoot!...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

robert
your first clue I am a retard is that I work on boats for a living.
in the next life I will be a Dr that way I can just bury my mistakes and charge twice for the same thing.

reelnative.
dude sorry to hear about an accident, thats always a bummer.
one of the biggest maint issues we are having now is the dang nylon engine filter fuel cups.
you have to destroy most to get them off and a new one is about 117 dollars if it has the water detect switch.
problem with mounting on the other side is the intake aint there,longer high pressure lines, and the coils are taking up that realestate.
if you dont belive Yamaha is proud of their high pressure fuel lines price the tiny line that goes between the VST and the medium pressure fuel filter on an HPDI.
remember this line is like 2" long.

Triton II

Commander

Retards!...that's funny. If Reelnative and Rodbolt are outboard "retards", then I don't know what that would make a "mere mortal" mechanic like me.
You guys are a real hoot!...

Absolutely agree! Rodbolt's been a great help over the years to so many of us, and now we've got another gun techie... thanks for the hours info RN.

Triton189

Cadet

I have a 2003 Yamaha 175 HPDI that I purchased last fall. Not sure of the service performed on this engine. Does this engine have an O2 Sensor and VST tank? If so, is this something that a certified mechanic should perform or is it easy enough for a novice?

dyezback

Recruit

I have a 2000 Fuel Injected 115 (F115tlry) that has developed the symptoms discribed here.
I get about 3500 rpm then if I push it rpm falls to under 2000.
Sounds and feels like fuel starvation.
My question is;
After I get to the VST, remove intake silencer, intake manifold and then remove the vst from the intake manifold. Do I need to replace the filter screen?

The reason I ask this is that I have a Racor 10 micron filter, water seperator feeding the system. Then I have the 10 micron yamaha filter just before the low pressure pump.
The concept of having another screen, 10 microns, completely non user serviceable that seems to only block up from a chemical reaction, not filter actions is poor engineering.

Also if the High Pressure pump is a flow thru then the screen does not protect the injectors from contaminates from the High Pressure pump.
The only other source of contamination would be the low pressure pump. Does it make dirt that would contaminate the High Pressure pump or injectors?
If someone thinks it might pump debris into the vst then I will install an additional in line filter between the low pressure pump and the vst.

Is it possible to get the vst out without removing tue manifold?

Comments?

ok
but your still the tard. :)
I am a current YAMAHA master tech not retired yet. one of about 70 in the US.

the F115 prior to 05 did not have the inline filter between the lift pumps and the VST.
so with only what you posted we had no clue.
yamaha made many engines with EFI in both two and four stroke and many models with DFI.
the filter on the f115 high pressure pump is about the size of a pinky fingernail, its also the same part number as the F225.
the filter on the F75,F90 and a few others is ten times the surface area.
however the key on your F115 is to use part number 68V-24502-02-00 which is the latest E fuel compatible inline filter and its 10 micron.
however the high pressure fuel pump, like the jonny rude 4 stroke EFI motors,the Honda, the suzuki and most all other EFI motors is a blow through design.
means you get carbon dust from the brushes in the high pressure/VST sideand this dust clogs that stupid tiny filter fairly quickly.
but can you tell me how long it takes to do the fuel system on an F250B, or an F350 ?
so you come on bashing and I am the TARD.
me thinks not :):)
my bedside manner is similar to some of the other professionals that post here.
give scanty information, get short snippy answers.

but let me ask you this, where else under the hood would you mount the VST on an inline 4 and not make the cover diminsions absurd ?

I am also certified for Volvo, Mercruiser, Crusader,indmar, PCM and marine power, just my current certs :).

theoldwizard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you spend more than 45 minutes replacing the VST filter its you ...
Well I am resurrecting this thread from the dead to add my experience. Mine happens to be the Mercury version of the F115 just painted black and on a Mercury leg.

At the end of last year I had the problem as everyone else. Lacks power, won't go WOT. I have removed the injectors and they are off being serviced but I figured I should replace the VST/fuel pump filter also.

First problem was the bottom bolt of the intake silencer assembly is blocked by the throttle bell crank. I remove the throttle cable and there was enough flex in the plastic bell crank to bend it out of the way to loosen the bolt. Getting it out took another 10-15 minutes.

Second problem was the bottom bolt on intake manifold. You can't see it until you look through some wires and hoses and then you realize you can not reach it. You have to completely remove the fuel rail and get it out of the way, which includes removing a few more hoses. Now I could get a wrench in there to loosen the bolt, but I could not get 2 fingers on it to spin it out. My wife had to squeeze her hand in there to spin it out.

Third, the hose from the lift pump to the VST was absolutely GLUED on both end ! Yes, it got ripped. Anyone know what diameter that hose is ?

When I got the VST apart the screen was not as bad as others I have seen, but it got replaced. The mating surfaces between the top and
bottom of the VST had a bit of corrosion (this engine has less than 200 hours, all in fresh water) and the O-ring itself has some corrosion on it. I am trying to carefully scrape it off with my fingernail.

I have about 2 hours into this project, not including breaks. It is Sunday late afternoon, so I am not even going to look for that hose. I can put the VST back together and put things somewhat back in place, but tomorrow I'll have to find a replacement for that hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.