Yamaha lower unit service

J

jjzepplin

New here but have gained a lot of info from you fellas ! Keep it coming. I just bought a 200 hp Yamaha I think I can read "tkl" on the tag and it says precision blend on the side of the motor. I would like to know how to check the fluid level and what kind of fluid does it use...90w?

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Yamaha lower unit service

90 w gear lube, if it at all milky you'll need to replace seals. there should be 2 dime sized plugs one near the top other near bottom top if fill,bottom is drain.

robert graham

Admiral

Go to: Bogueinletnc.com/yamaha for detailed instructions with photos on lower unit service plus several other maintenance related proceedures for your Yamaha outboard. Walmart has the handy little pump and the Marine Lower Unit Oil. Good Luck!

J

jjzepplin

Great ! found them. Top says oil level ? Now do I check level with motor up or down? Pulled the top plug with motor down and good looking fluid came rushing out so I quickly re-installed and am guessing motor should be in up position.?? Also my prop seems to be a little loose on the shaft.Should this be tight or torqued to any spec? I snugged it up and re-installed the pin. Shaft seems to be tight prop still spins free. But I want to be sure. By the way- no milky look to the fluid in lower end.

J

jjzepplin

I sure would love to keep using this site for knowledge about my boat and to reciprocate my knowledge with other users .....However this is the only post I am allowed to post.Can any one help me to post a new thread??? It keeps saying that I do not have access to the page where I can post...!!??? My thread does not appear to be offensive in nature so I am at a loss. Thank you all for the help you have given and I hope to speak to some of you soon, but alas the may be my last post...I guess the captain goes down with the ship on her maiden voyage..... . .blurp.............................................!@#$%^&*()_+

Spbeyond

Cadet

What gear oil should I use for a older yamaha 9.9hp? Can I just use the 90W at walmart? Thanks guys.

J

jjzepplin

I am already logged in and they recognize my user name and it says I do not have privileges to this page,.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

So, you can reply but cannot start an new one?
Is that on all categories?
You may need to send a PM to JB and ask him

J

jjzepplin

I can reply but i cannot start a new thread. NO permission.... Sure would like to though.

J

jjzepplin

um uh whats ie8? I am running firefox though. Sent a pm to jb no reply as of yet.Thanks for the help!!!!