Recruit
I am not familiar with suzuki outboards. There are 2 holes just above the
lower unit about 3/8 diameter right behind the shift linkage nut, one about 2"
above the other. Is water supposed to come out of these holes or do i have
a possible internal leak?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome both to IBoats,

Those are water drain ports, nothing to reapir or be worried about. All motors have them...

Happy Boating

Winkj63

Recruit
Welcome both to IBoats,

Those are water drain ports, nothing to reapir or be worried about. All motors have them...

Happy Boating
Thanks Sea Rider,
Just to be sure, it’s normal for the water pump to leak water past the drive shaft grommet on top of the water pump casing? That’s where the leak starts. It empties from the drain ports when it fills up to that level

Attachments

• DA7FA36E-E6C4-4189-90C4-B22CC6F854F6.jpeg
    DA7FA36E-E6C4-4189-90C4-B22CC6F854F6.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 4

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, thought that you were referring to the small holes (water drains) located al lower leg. If assuming water is leaking thru the black rubber grommet replace it with a new one, check the lower water pick up tube's condition, must be impeccable clean and smooth to fingerprint rub or will not make a spot on tight connection against the grommet and lose water pressure.

If water is seen exiting thru the drive shaft need to install new water seals, o'rings whatever might be located there, was the gearbox lube found in a milky condition ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Winkj63

Recruit
No, the gearbox lube is ok and it holds pressure when tested. The motor in question is a Suzuki df9.9ELX
I replaced the entire water pump assembly thinking there must be a leak that was causing water to come out of the weep holes. The drive shaft grommet is not tight around the drive shaft. It fits into the top of the pump casing but there a 1/16th+ gap between the grommet and the shaft. The grommet is a new correct genuine Suzuki part and I’ve checked several different diagrams and confirmed the part # is correct.
Ive asked both Browns Point Suzuki and Crowleys Marine and nobody seems able to answer the question about the fitting of that grommet.
All the parts shown in the pic have been replaced. The tell tale is strong, the motor runs cool and never overheats, and otherwise there are no problems. I just dont think water is supposed to leak out between the water pump casing grommet and the drive shaft.
What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 2E65DEB6-FA65-4617-A4CF-F94F793DAFB9.jpeg
    2E65DEB6-FA65-4617-A4CF-F94F793DAFB9.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 3

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How are you checking that scenario is actually happening ? Can test the lower leg in a bucket filled with a high water level and spin the drive shaft CW with a drill machine attached to it as if the motor is working with attached powerhead. check if leaks and where is the leak located. What is the current condition of the lower water pick-up tube which hooks into the black rubber grommet ?

Happy Boating

Last edited:

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
all leak some at the drive shaft, that is not a tight fit and there is no seal there
but I do not think the pipe should be leaking set in that grommet