40 HP yamaha pull start problem

stevice

Cadet
I have a Yamaha 40 hp. The pull start mechanism cord pulls out fine and
retracts fine but the drivepaw does not engage the fly wheel. I have replaced the drivepawl, spring, brass starter shaft and bushing, still no help I think when you pull the cord the drive pawl should move up and try to engage the fly wheel but it remains stationary. Im trying to figure out what if anything will move that pawl up and retract it once the engine starts, the spring goes around the brass starter shaft but Im trying to figure out if something is suppose to hold the spring back and load it. Any help would be appreciated.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: 40 HP yamaha pull start problem

If you would post you model # we might be able to look at a parts breakdown to see if we could give some advice.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

The S is for 1994.
They do not even list a C40 in 1994
The E stands for a manual tilt Electric start so it does not have a pull start rope,or does it have both?
Has this motor been modified?

Looking at an old 80's pull start, it looks like the tension of the spring where it rides in the grove pushes the dog out to make contact with the flywheel when you pull the rope and when you release the rope and it rewinds it pulls the dog back in.

stevice

Cadet

When I bought the boat I was told it was a 1994 40 hp, I made a mistake on the model # the correct model # on the placard is C40 PLRQ, I also have the serial I was wondering if I could get the correct model year from that. You are right, when you look up 1994 it does not list this model # FOR 1994, I did find it for 1991, thats why Im skeptical it is a 1994, but either way it looks like the starting mechanisms are the same for those model years, please let me know what you think.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I am sorry, I was wrong to an extent.

P = Power Tilt Electric Start
L = 20" shaft
R = remote control
Q = says it is a 1992 and there is a C40PLRQ listed in 1992

It does show a rope/manual start in the parts breakdown.
So my guess is it has both is that true?
Did you see what I said about the 80s model spring riding in a groove and that the tension or friction in that grove pushes and pulls the drive paw.

When you bought the parts you replaced, what model # did you give the part guys? Maybe you ended up with some wrong parts because of the confusion on year and model #s

stevice

Cadet

The engine has both electric and manual start. I verified the part numbers that I ordered and they are correct for that model number engine. I have the repair manual for that engine and it states that the spring mechanism goes around the brass bushing called the starter shaft, but I see no movement of the drive paw when the rope is pulled out, like I said I changed the drive paw, spring, sleeve. Still no help, I installed the assembly and tryed it the drive paw wiill engage the flywheel only if you use a screwdriver underneath and push it up in the forward position. I'm thinking that drive paw should move coward when you pull back on the rope. The starter shaft (brass bushing) I think is the key to the problem but it is new the old one looked a little beat up that's why I changed all parts.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Did you see what I said about the 80s model spring riding in a groove and that the tension or friction of that spring in that groove pushes and pulls the drive paw.

can you post a picture of how you spring is attached to the starter shaft?

you said "I verified the part numbers that I ordered and they are correct for that model number engine" what model # are you talking about? You have given 2 model #s in this post

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

let me look, but usually its tracable to the pawl drive bushing is rotating.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

remove the pawl drive from the center of the rope pully. pully and spring can stay in place.
carefully inspect bushing,ref 10 in the abaove link.
you will note the housing has 2 notches and the bushinh has 2 tabs.
if the tabs dont go in the notches it crushes them and the pawl drive piece will rotate with the pully and the pawl wont extend or retract properly.
its a common diyer mistake.

stevice

Cadet

The model # for my engine is C40PLRQ that is the part numbers that I ordered
for the pull start assembly, I installed the parts with the inside bushing with the two notches in the notches of the assembly, like you said rodbolt.
My question is the starter shaft (brass bushing) suppose to rotate when the pull start cord is pulled out or is it suppose to remain stationary. 99Yam40
I did note what you said about the spring rididng in the groove of the starter shaft. The spring is riding inside the shaft groove there is friction on the spring but like I said the drive pawl remains stationary when you pull the rope out. I installed the assembly per the repair manual. I will post the picture of the assembly tommorrow.

stevice

Cadet

By the way the nylon bushing under the brass bushing is what Im talking about that is the one that is installed with the two notches inside the grooves
I made sure that was installed correctly

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the pawl drive bushing MUST remain stationary while the rope pully rotates of nothing happens.
if it rotates something is not assembled correctly.

Luke.nukem

Recruit

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have this same engine and the same problem. My pawl drive bushing is rotating and not allowing the pawl to engage. If I tighten the bolt that goes through the bushing tight enough to stop the bushing from rotating, the recoil won't retract, if I loosen it the bushing rotates. I must be missing something. I Have verified the plastic outer bushing with the two tabs is installed correctly. Thanks for your help.